Try Microsoft Edge
A fast and secure browser that's designed for Windows 10
After upgrading your DYNAMICS and Company Databases, you need to remember that if you have any modified forms or reports.dic files, those need to be upgraded as well. Here are the steps that you need to take to upgrade your modified forms and reports.dic files. 1.Make a backup of each reports dictionary or forms dictionary prior to the upgrade. The name of the reports dictionary for Microsoft Dynamics GP is Reports.dic and the name of the forms dictionary for Microsoft Dynamics GP is Forms.dic. We recommend making a copy of the .DIC files as well as exporting the modified reports and forms to a package file under Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance.
2. Open the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 launch file (Dynamics.set) and verify that the paths to the modified reports and forms are correct. The paths must be the location of the reports dictionary and forms dictionary from the previous release. For example, if your modified dictionaries are located out on a network share, the paths would look like the following:
:C:Program Files(x86)/Microsoft Dynamics/GP2013/Dynamics.dic //server/dictionary_share/FORMS.DIC //server/dictionary_share/REPORTS.DIC
3. Launch Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 Utilities and click Next to get to the Additional Tasks window. In the Additional Tasks window, select Update modified forms and reports and click Process. The Locate Launch File window appears.
4. Select the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 launch file (Dynamics.set) that you use to start Microsoft Dynamics GP on this client, then click Next. The Update Modified Forms and Reports window appears.
5. Select Microsoft Dynamics GP and any additional components whose modified forms and reports dictionaries you’re upgrading.
6. For each component, choose the Details button, if necessary, to open the Product Details window, where you can select the location of the original dictionary from the previous release, such as Dynamics.dic or HR.dic. For example, if you are upgrading from Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010, you would browse to the Dynamics.dic in the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 client folder for the Microsoft Dynamics GP dictionary upgrade. If you are upgrading the Human Resources modified dictionaries, you would browse to the HR.dic from the previous release. Click OK in the Product Details window.
7. In the Update Modified Forms and Reports window, click Update.
Your modified forms and reports dictionaries are upgraded, and a report named Update2013.txt is generated, which contains information about upgraded modified forms. Be sure to review the report, located in the \Data folder, to verify that your modified forms have been upgraded correctly.
8. Click Next. The Additional Tasks window reappears.At this point in time, you should know if your modified reports and forms upgraded successfully or not but to be sure you can review the Update2013.txt and Update2013.log, for more information about the modified forms and reports upgrade. I hope that this helps to answer your questions in regards to the steps to upgrade your modified reports and forms dictionaries!
VIDEO!! VIDEO!!!! Check out a video demo of upgrading your modified Reports.dic and Forms.dic files - Demo Video!
Continue to check back with our Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 R2 New Feature Blog Series Schedule to learn more about the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 Upgrade! for more upgrade blogs!!
Thank you!Sarah PurdyMicrosoft Dynamics
Hi, I am trying to following this from GP 10.1868 to GP 2013 r2 12.1745
When trying to update the Microsoft Dynamics GP using the "Dynamics.dic" from GP 10 I get the error "the dictionary 'REPORT LOCATION' is not compatible with the forms and or reports dictionary for this product"
It worked fine when going to GP 2013, just not to GP 2013 r2. Any ideas please?
Dan, When you're using the 'Update Modified Forms and Reports' process in GP 2013 R2 Utilities, are you pointing it to the Dynamics.dic from the Dynamics GP 10.00.1868 build, as well as the Dynamics.set file for GP 10.0 as well?
We've also seen this 'REPORT LOCATION' message seen when clicking on the option to install/deploy the SSRS reports after the DYNAMICS or company database upgrades, but you don't yet have SQL Reporting Services setup yet in order to deploy the reports.
If neither of these is what you're running into, we'd probably need a support case opened to look at your environment and the error more closely..
Problem resolved, it was down to configuration error. I had previously used the reports.dic file during an earlier test upgrade to GP 2013. I went back to the original GP 10 back up and went through the steps and all worked fine. Thanks.