Breaking news from around the world
Get the Bing + MSN extension
Now Available in Community - MBAS 2019 Presentation Videos
Catch the most popular sessions on demand and learn how Dynamics 365, Power BI, PowerApps, Microsoft Flow, and Excel are powering major transformations around the globe. | View Gallery
2019 release wave 2 Discover the latest updates to Dynamics 365Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | Early Access Availability
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Talent TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
You now have the DYNAMICS database and all company databases and modified reports and forms upgraded to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016, so what is next? Each of you have your own project plans for the upgrade, however, here are some tips for the game plan following the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 database upgrade. Enjoy!
1. Backup!Once the databases are upgraded, always make a SQL backup of the databases before moving forward with any next step. It is a good idea to login to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 and export all modified reports and forms to package files as well now that they are upgraded. Click Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance.
2. Enter your new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 Registration Keys!All Customers must work with their Partner to obtain new registration keys for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016. Login to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 and go to Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Setup | Registration and enter the new registration keys.
3. Third Party Products/CustomizationsAll third party products and customizations have already been identified during the pre-upgrade planning phase. Once Microsoft Dynamics GP is upgraded, you can then move forward and install/upgrade all third party products you use with Microsoft Dynamics GP. Please work with the ISV that provides the third party product for steps to upgrade. Don't forget about all the additional customizations as well! Work with the Developer who created the customization for you to obtain the upgrade steps.
4. Client Machines and Terminal ServerInstall Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 at all client workstations and Terminal Servers. Make sure to install the exact same hotfix or service pack for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 at the clients and Terminal Servers that you used for the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 upgrade. If a different patch is used you could run into version errors launching Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016.
5. Web ServicesIf you currently use Web Services, Web Services must also be upgraded to the 2016 version. You can install Web Services from the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 DVD in the AdProd folder. Once installed, run the GP Web Services Configuration Wizard to upgrade the Web Services components in the DYNAMICS and company databases. If you have custom integrations with Web Services, test out all integrations following the upgrade. The documentation for Web Services is also on the installation media.
6. eConnectThe eConnect database objects are automatically upgraded when the DYNAMICS and company databases are upgraded with Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 Utilities. If you have custom Pre and Post eConnect procedures, make sure to create those again following the database upgrade. If you have the eConnect Runtime installed on any client or server, use the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 DVD to install the latest eConnect Runtime components. If you have custom integrations with eConnect, test out all integrations to ensure everything works successfully. The documentation for eConnect is also on the installation media.
7. Workflow 2.0If you currently use Workflow 2.0 with Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013/2015, then you will already be familiar with how this new feature works. If you're new to this feature then you will want to check out the following blogs and documentation.
New Workflow in Microsoft Dynamics GPhttps://community.dynamics.com/gp/b/dynamicsgp/archive/2014/06/05/new-workflow-in-microsoft-dynamics-gp-2013-r2
WORKFLOW 2.0 FOR MICROSOFT DYNAMICS GP - An Overviewhttps://community.dynamics.com/gp/b/dynamicsgp/archive/2014/08/07/workflow-2-0-for-microsoft-dynamics-gp-2013-r2-an-overview
8. Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services Reports.The Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services Reports are automatically upgraded during the database upgrade as long as the Windows user has access to your SQL Reporting Services Site. If you need to redeploy the SQL Reporting Services Reports following the upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics GP, click HERE to download the SQL Reporting Service Administrator Guide for GP.
9. Integration Manager If you currently have integrations through Integration Manager, you will need to upgrade your .MDB or .IMD database file to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016. You can install Integration Manager from the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 DVD. Once upgraded, make sure to test out all integrations to ensure they work successfully. The IMUsersGuide.pdf is in the same folder as the installation file on the DVD.
10. Word TemplatesAll Word Templates automatically upgrade with the databases in Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 Utilities. If your Word Templates are based on modified reports, make sure the Reports.dic is upgraded before testing out the Word Templates. Most importantly, make sure you can print the Standard modified report without issue before trying the Word Template report. If users need to continue to make changes to the Word Template reports through Microsoft Word, install the Microsoft Dynamics GP Add-in for Microsoft Word from the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 DVD.
11. US Payroll Tax UpdatesIf you are a US Payroll Customer, check for the latest tax updates in Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 under Microsoft Dynamics GP | Maintenance | US Payroll Updates | Check for Tax Updates.
12. Management ReporterFRx is no longer supported with Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016. The migration to Management Reporter is another important step in your upgrade plan if you have not migrated already. Please make sure to test out all of your Management Reporter reports once the databases are upgraded to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016. Click HERE for more information regarding Management Reporter. Click HERE to go to the Management Reporter Product Team Blog for great information!
13. User Acceptance and TestingIt is highly recommended to create checklists for the users to test out all modules in use. Users should walk through the checklists in both the test upgrade and live upgrade environment. Once all users feel comfortable with the tests, have them sign off for each module. User acceptance is so important to ensure their processes work correctly in the new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 environment. This includes testing all transaction entry tasks, reports, daily, monthly and yearly routines and processes.
14. Manage Database SizeDuring the upgrade, the size of the database does grow to a fairly large size. Please check the size of each of the company databases to ensure you are comfortable with the size of the database based on the space requirements in your environment. You can certainly leave the databases as is or remove the extra space if you desire. Please work with your Database Administrator for assistance removing the extra space if needed.
15. Thinking about Web Client?Web Client for GP 2016 has been updated to run on HTML 5 (previous versions used Silverlight). There will be blogs and documentation available and I'll update this with links when they are.
16. Remove the Old InstallationsOnce Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 is up and running smooth, you can go ahead and un-install the prior installation to clean up the machines.
And finally, be on the lookout for our GP 2016 New Features Blog Series that will kick off around launch time!
Hi Chris, this is a great article. With regards to web services, when you go to install the 2016 version on a server that already had 2015, it says "Folder is not empty". I don't see an easy way to remove the 2015 version, so what I've been doing is adding a 2016 to the end of the folder name. There is probably a better way, I just haven't found it yet.
Business Applications communities