Breaking news from around the world
Get the Bing + MSN extension
Now Available in Community - MBAS 2019 Presentation Videos
Catch the most popular sessions on demand and learn how Dynamics 365, Power BI, PowerApps, Microsoft Flow, and Excel are powering major transformations around the globe. | View Gallery
2019 release wave 2 Discover the latest updates to Dynamics 365Release overview guides and videos Release Plan | Early Access Availability
Ace your Dynamics 365 deployment with packaged services delivered by expert consultants. | Explore service offerings
Connect with the ISV success team on the latest roadmap, developer tool for AppSource certification, and ISV community engagements | ISV self-service portal
The FastTrack program is designed to help you accelerate your Dynamics 365 deployment with confidence.
FastTrack Program | Finance TechTalks | Customer Engagement TechTalks | Talent TechTalks | Upcoming TechTalks
Continuing with our Dynamics GP 2018 R2 blog series, today we will cover several tips and recommendations regarding how to proceed after you have upgraded the DYNAMICS database, all company databases and the modified forms and reports to Dynamics GP 2018 R2:
1) Make Backups! Once your databases are upgraded, always make SQL backups of them before moving forward with any next step. We also recommend logging into Dynamics GP 2018 R2 and exporting all modified forms and reports to .package files as well. This is done via Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance.
2) Third Party Products/Customizations All third party products and customizations should have already been identified during the pre-upgrade planning phase. After Dynamics GP itself has upgraded successfully, you can then continue to install/upgrade all third party products that you use with GP. Please work with the ISV that provides the third party product for the appropriate upgrade steps. Also, do not forget about any additional customizations! Work with the Developer who created the customization(s) to obtain the appropriate upgrade steps.
3) Client Machines and Terminal Servers Install Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 on all client workstations and Terminal Servers. Make sure to install the exact same hotfix or service pack for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 on the clients and Terminal Servers, that you used for the initial Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 upgrade. Otherwise, you could run into version errors when launching Dynamics GP 2018 R2. You can then also proceed with installing third party products and customizations as noted above.
4) Web Services If you currently use Web Services, then it must also be upgraded to the 2018 R2 version. You can install Web Services from the “AdProd” folder in the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 installation media. Once installed, run the GP Web Services Configuration Wizard to upgrade the Web Services components in the DYNAMICS and company databases. If you have any custom integrations with Web Services, please test those following the upgrade.
5) eConnect The eConnect database objects are automatically upgraded when the DYNAMICS and company databases are upgraded via Dynamics GP Utilities. If you have custom Pre and Post eConnect procedures, please make sure to create those again following the database upgrades. If you have the eConnect Runtime installed on any client or server, use the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 installation media to install the latest eConnect Runtime components. If you have any custom integrations with eConnect, please test them to confirm that everything works correctly with the update. 6) Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services Reports The Microsoft Dynamics GP SQL Reporting Services (SSRS) reports are automatically upgraded during the database upgrade, as long as the Windows user that ran the upgrade process has access to your SQL Reporting Services Site. If you need to redeploy the SQL Reporting Services Reports following the upgrade to Dynamics GP 2018 R2, click HERE to download the SQL Reporting Service Administrator Guide for GP.
(Note: This document was written for GP 2013 but is still relevant with GP 2018 R2.)
7) Integration Manager If you currently use Integration Manager, you will need to upgrade your .IMD or .MDB database file. You can install the newest version of Integration Manager from the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 installation media, then select Tools | Convert Database in IM. Once upgraded, make sure to test all integrations to confirm that they still work successfully. You can also refer to the IMUsersGuide.pdf, which is in the same folder as the installation files.
8) Word Templates All Word Templates automatically upgrade with the databases in Dynamics GP 2018 R2 Utilities. If your Word Templates are based on modified reports, make sure that the Reports.dic file is upgraded before testing the Word Templates. Most importantly, confirm that you can print the Standard modified report without issue before trying the Word Template report. If users need to continue to make changes to the Word Template reports through Microsoft Word, install the Microsoft Dynamics GP Add-in for Microsoft Word from the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 installation media.
9) US Payroll Tax Updates If you are a US Payroll Customer, check for the latest tax updates in Dynamics GP 2018 R2 under Microsoft Dynamics GP | Maintenance | US Payroll Updates | Check for Tax Updates.
10) Management Reporter Note that FRx is not supported with GP 2018 R2. Therefore, the migration to Management Reporter is another important step in your upgrade plan, if you have not migrated already. Also make sure to test all of your Management Reporter reports once the databases are upgraded to Dynamics GP 2018 R2. Click HERE for more information regarding Management Reporter. Click HERE to go to the Management Reporter Product Team Blog for additional information and tips on Management Reporter.
11) User Acceptance and Testing It is strongly recommended for your users to test all modules that are in use. Users should walk through all modules in both the test upgrade and live upgrade environments. Once all users feel comfortable with the tests, have them sign off for each module. User acceptance testing is important to ensure that their processes work correctly in the new Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 environment. This includes testing all transaction entry tasks, reports, daily, monthly and yearly routines and processes, etc.
12) Manage Database Size During the upgrade process, the databases and log files can grow to a fairly large size. Please check the size of each of the company databases and log files to ensure that you are comfortable with the size, based on the space requirements in your environment. You can leave the databases as is, or remove the extra space if you desire. Please work with your Database Administrator for assistance removing the extra space as needed. Also consider the Transaction Log and TempDB growth during the upgrade process. You should have a good idea of what this will look like after performing the initial test upgrade. Then, plan accordingly in the production environment.
13) Web Client Stay tuned to the Upgrade Blog Series Schedule for tomorrow’s post specifically regarding upgrading to the Dynamics GP 2018 R2 Web Client.
14) Remove the Old Installations
Once you have confirmed that Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018 R2 is up and running smoothly, you can then un-install the prior installation to clean up the machines.
We hope that you enjoy this newest release of Microsoft Dynamics GP!
Business Applications communities