I have been a Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) partner and vendor for the past 26 years.  I am an enthusiast of the product, its amazing user community, and its ecosystem of independent software vendors (ISVs). The reason is simple: Because GP works, and because the breath of the solutions that can be provided by Dynamics GP is second to none in the industry, as evidenced by the wide variety of customers ICON has helped to grow during the past three decades.  However, I believe the time has come to move to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.

Over the past few years, Microsoft made repeated attempts at creating a proper replacement solution for its aging ERP solutions portfolio.  I must say that initial attempts were so flawed that at some point even the most trusted Dynamics ERP partners questioned their future with Microsoft, and — most importantly — their customers’ ERP future.  Finally, in 2018, Microsoft introduced the first useable version of its flagship cloud-based ERP solution for small and medium-sized businesses called Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.  And then things really got interesting…

Out with the old, in with the new?

Don’t take me wrong. For a business solution product, age is usually an asset more than an issue.  Software like Dynamics GP have evolved from decades of real-world direct user functionality requirements and experiences that are not easily replicated by a newcomer to the market.  And then, ISVs — hundreds of them — have added functionality that covers practically every niche industry you can think of.  This makes Microsoft Dynamics GP a very viable and robust solution for many companies, for some years to come.  But then you remember that Dynamics GP was released in floppy disks back in 1993 when the world-wide web was a novelty and… Well, if you don’t know what floppy disks are, you get my point.

Dynamics 365 Business Central is a truly capable cloud-based ERP that can automate your business processes. It sports a sleek, modern user interface that users adapt to very quickly.  Also, the Microsoft cloud offers benefits such as data security and unique artificial intelligence-based business insights that simply cannot be had on typical on-premise implementations.  But what has impressed me the most is the speed with which Microsoft is adding functionality to the product.  Having started with a strong base to begin with, Microsoft is really putting all of its development and innovation power behind it and is delivering seamless upgrades for customers that continuously increase the capabilities and value of the product for its subscribers.  And best of all, the product is very reasonably priced.

Moving to Dynamics 365 Business Central

Business Central is ideal for any new business.  And if your business is using Quickbooks because you think you cannot afford a world-class ERP solution, think again; the move to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is a no-brainer, offering migration tools so your business can start reaping the benefits of Business Central with little effort and in a very short time.

For other companies that have made investments in mid-market ERPs, replacing their accounting software is more of a challenge.  A company that have been using the same business solution for a while — sometimes for decades — has probably adapted every corner of the product to their business processes, and this is hard to replace.  However, sooner rather than later these companies will realize that the level of operational efficiency and business insight they are missing out on by staying on a legacy system is hard to ignore for much longer.  For these companies, now is the time to start planning their transition to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.

ICON is in business since 1987, making good on our promise to make our customers more efficient and profitable.  With Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, we plan to deliver more of a good thing for decades to come.

By ICON, Dominican Republic Dynamics GP partner