This is something that came up as I was reviewing posts in the FRx newsgroup and talking to customers about GP upgrades.  I wanted to rant about it a little and see what others thought.  Maybe I am over-reacting?

Dynamics GP 10.0 is supported on SQL Server 2008.  However, FRx Reporter 6.7 is only compatible with SQL 2000 and SQL 2005.  SQL 2005 mainstream support expires in April of 2011.  So today, with 2 years to go for SQL 2005 support, new customers or current customers upgrading from older versions of GP and SQL 2000 would look to implement Dynamics GP 10.0 on SQL 2008.  But they cannot.  Unless they want to use something other than FRx for financial reporting, of course.  Since FRx comes bundled with GP (meaning it is included in the base price) and has been ‘pushed’ for so long as the financial reporting tool of choice for GP, I am at a loss on how to reconcile this contradiction.

While similar to the issues surrounding 64-bit support, this somehow feels worse to me.  At least you can have a 64-bit server and install FRx elsewhere. With SQL 2008, you have no options, it is global to the entire installation.

Thanks for listening to my rant!  Please let me know what you think. 

Posted in Dynamics GP, FRx, GP 10.0, SQL Server   Tagged: Dynamics GP, FRx, SQL 2008