Getting the current open window in .net GP Add In

Question Status

Verified
Himal Patel asked a question on 10 May 2016 10:24 PM

I'm working on an addin where in i have the requirement of getting the current active window in Dynamics GP. I'm using .net to create my plug in and below two assemblies. 

1. Application.Dynamics

2. Microsoft.Dexterity.Bridge.

How can I achieve same ? 

Thanks in advance!

Himal

Tim Wappat responded on 11 May 2016 5:50 AM

I think you will need to drop down to windows API to achieve that.

This code project page shows more than you need, I guess GetForegroundWindow() would do you, I expect you will need to do some research around that and mapping the windows you want to trigger your code from in GP.

David Musgrave responded on 11 May 2016 9:23 AM

I don't believe that is possible with standard Visual Studio Tools code.  You will need to go low level to get the window in focus (as Tim says), then you can get the handle and the window title.  However, getting back to technical name of the window itself will be difficult.

What are you trying to achieve? Understanding the bigger picture will help us suggest solutions.

David

Himal Patel responded on 11 May 2016 10:19 PM

Thanks Tim & David,

We have a legacy application in .net which use DexToNet (TamerSoft DexToNet) component to connect to dexterity. Now, we are converting it to use VS SDK instead. while migrating the existing code, We came across this requirement. 

We have some logic in there which set the new form's location and size based on the size of the mdi client window of dex.  like, if the new form's size is larger then the dex form, reduce it. 

Hope this gives you more idea.

Thanks,

Himal

David Musgrave responded on 13 May 2016 1:52 AM

Hi Himal

If you know the Dexterity window, then obtaining the information is easy. The issue is dynamically getting the current window.

Even in Dexterity there is no way to directly get the current window. The only method is to dynamically register triggers on the activate event of every window as it opens and get the trigger handler code to store the window name somewhere when the window gains focus.

David

Tim Wappat responded on 13 May 2016 2:34 AM

I had not seen this component before. I can't immediately find an overview of what it is or does. From a forum post it looks like some kind of .NET interop into Dexterity?

As David said above, I think this will be challenging from the Visual Studio add in.

Perhaps there are clues from the existing code as to how that component achieves this. Do you have any method signatures? My guess would be that the component has a Dexterity side to it that has implemented functionality much as David describes.

Suggested Answer
Almas Mahfooz responded on 13 May 2016 5:13 AM

So many years ago I also need to find the current active window information in dexterity and I did this with 2 different way. One was to create a function in dexterity to use COM objects and use GetDexActiveWindow().
And second method was to use command prompt commands and use some batch files to get the Dynamics GP active window, which I don't know still work in with windows 8 or not.[ I tried to search that code in my backups but hopeless. :( , I think I must gather all the codes to some handy and save place so don't run like mad when need them ]

Anyway you can still use GetDexActiveWindow() to get the active window and do the needful.
below are some helpful hints.

The GetDexActiveWindow() method returns 4 string parameters that tell us the Form technical name,
window technical name, dictionary name and window title. Shown below is an example of this code:

Dim result As Boolean
Dim mystr1 As String
Dim mystr2 As String
Dim mystr3 As String
Dim mystr4 As String

result = eEnterpriseApp.GetDexActiveWindow(mystr1, mystr2, mystr3, mystr4)

MsgBox ("Form Name = " & mystr1)
MsgBox ("Window Technical Name = " & mystr2)
MsgBox ("Dictionary Name = " & mystr3)
MsgBox ("Window Title = " & mystr4)

automation-beyond.com/.../gp-automation-gui-capture-script

I am in a little hurry, just login to reply your question, sorry can't help much.

Almas Mahfooz responded on 13 May 2016 5:17 AM

DexToNet is quite an old product, I remember having it's trial version on 2009. : )

Himal Patel responded on 13 May 2016 7:53 AM

Hi Tim/David,

Yes, this component is very old and no longer supported. And that's the reason we re moving to VST. I was going through Microsoft.Dexterify.Shell and found a class "Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.DexForm" that has ActiveForm property.

Not  sure if that will do it. tried but getting null. :)

Do you know if there is any documentation around Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell classes ?

Thanks,

Himal

Himal Patel responded on 13 May 2016 7:57 AM

Thanks Almas,

I would give it a try with GetDexActiveWindow. Where can i get the reference for  eEnterpriseApp.GetDexActiveWindow ?

Thanks,

Himal

Tim Wappat responded on 13 May 2016 8:38 AM

Almas included the link to the script in her post

This is Dex script, so you would have to create a Dexterity modification to include this script, then exposing that Dex code to .NET.

Himal Patel responded on 15 May 2016 3:04 AM

Cool, Thanks!

Verified Answer
Tim Wappat responded on 16 May 2016 8:33 AM

Almas,

That is a a good explanation of how to achieve it!

David Musgrave responded on 16 May 2016 9:37 AM

Wow. You never stop learning.

I had not seen that Continuum call before.

Good find Almas.

David

PS: Just be aware that using Continuum can have issues if more than one instance of Dynamics/Dexterity is running on a system. It always connects to the first instance and not necessarily the one you want.

Bob Warren responded on 16 May 2016 11:17 AM

Almas,

You set a high bar with this one. Outstanding!!

Verified Answer
Suggested Answer
Almas Mahfooz responded on 13 May 2016 5:13 AM

So many years ago I also need to find the current active window information in dexterity and I did this with 2 different way. One was to create a function in dexterity to use COM objects and use GetDexActiveWindow().
And second method was to use command prompt commands and use some batch files to get the Dynamics GP active window, which I don't know still work in with windows 8 or not.[ I tried to search that code in my backups but hopeless. :( , I think I must gather all the codes to some handy and save place so don't run like mad when need them ]

Anyway you can still use GetDexActiveWindow() to get the active window and do the needful.
below are some helpful hints.

The GetDexActiveWindow() method returns 4 string parameters that tell us the Form technical name,
window technical name, dictionary name and window title. Shown below is an example of this code:

Dim result As Boolean
Dim mystr1 As String
Dim mystr2 As String
Dim mystr3 As String
Dim mystr4 As String

result = eEnterpriseApp.GetDexActiveWindow(mystr1, mystr2, mystr3, mystr4)

MsgBox ("Form Name = " & mystr1)
MsgBox ("Window Technical Name = " & mystr2)
MsgBox ("Dictionary Name = " & mystr3)
MsgBox ("Window Title = " & mystr4)

I am in a little hurry, just login to reply your question, sorry can't help much.

Suggested Answer
Almas Mahfooz responded on 2 Sep 2016 5:48 AM

What exactly your objective is?

The front most window is the active window,  If you will open Sales Transaction Entry Window and then open customer Window from it and then from customer window will open Shipping Method window then the 'Shipping window' is the active window.

It seems you are coding something where you have to find which window is active and then on the basis of active window do some task.

Suggested Answer
Almas Mahfooz responded on 6 Sep 2016 2:30 AM

Hany, the  GetDexActiveWindow() method we are talking in this post can be used to find the active window name, it  returns 4 string parameters that tell us the Form technical name, window technical name, dictionary name and window title. You can use it's in dexterity as well by adding com reference.

Suggested Answer
Almas Mahfooz responded on 6 Sep 2016 2:46 AM

You are right David. Thanks for reminder.

Hany, other way is registering a trigger against dynamics GP function "Security" and then get resource id from it. I have done this before when needed to know current window name.

Suggested Answer
David Musgrave responded on 6 Sep 2016 2:58 AM

Hi Hany

The method I use to track active windows (already using this in GP Power Tools), is triggering before the Security procedure (not the function) as the procedure is called automatically when windows open. The function is called when windows open AND at other times.

You can then register a cross dictionary trigger (so it can handle any product) on the Activate event of all windows in the form. You will need to store the dictionary, form, window and trigger tag details in a memory table.

When the trigger fires, use Trigger_GetCurrentTag() to get the tag, do a reverse lookup on the memory table to identify the dictionary, form and window and store those results in global variables.

Then you can look at the global variables to identify the last current window.

You will also need to look in the table to see if that dictionary, form, window is already in the table (and so has a trigger), before registering your trigger.

Do not make the mistake I originally made (but have now fixed), by unregistering the triggers when the form is closed.  As this will cause the trigger tags to increment every time a window is opened and closed. This will eventually cause the trigger tags to exceed 32768 and go to -32767 and then go to 0 and start duplicating already used tag numbers. This caused all kinds of issues. So keep the triggers registered and use the table to avoid registering more than once.

David