Safe Pay File Date Append

Question Status

Verified
Evan42 asked a question on 13 Jul 2017 10:11 AM

We are currently having to manually add a date to our positive pay files exported from Dynamics before uploading them to the bank.  Is there a quick way to append a current date (YYYYMMDD) to the file name as it is exported?

Verified Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 17 Jul 2017 7:13 AM

Hi Evan,

I fear that there is no such thing possible in GP..  The location where to export the EFT file is defined in :  Financial >> Routines >> Financial >> Safe Pay >> Upload Maintenance

Unfortunately I don't think you're allowed to use any 'variables' in the path & file name, which leaves only with an option of post-processing, outside of GP.

I'd look for some resident application on the system that would pick the file in folder it was generated and append a date-time stamp to it..

If you own a product like SmartConnect, this is something that should be possible, but there are certainly other ways of doing it for less $$.

Hope this helps.

PS: you still could give it a try.. I don't have any EFT format setup right now, but try to add the %date% variable to your file name (i.e. EFT_export.txt would become EFT_Export_%date%.txt)

Evan42 responded on 17 Jul 2017 7:47 AM

Thank you, Beat! That's kind of what I figured.  We have a developer onsite that is looking at this as well - he may be able to create a quick program to append as it comes into the folder. I'll look at that route.

Verified Answer
Mariano Gomez responded on 17 Jul 2017 8:00 PM

I already did this for you and you can download the code for free. Take a look at my article:

Microsoft Dexterity: Customizing Safe Pay file name

All I ask is that you do not take credit for the code or that it is not commercially distributed. Your developer can feel free to modify as he/she sees fit, but never with an intention to distribute commercially. Thanks in advance for accepting these conditions.

Béat Bucher responded on 17 Jul 2017 9:11 PM

Great job Mariano!

Going to download the code and play a bit with it in my 2016 test system  :-)

Mariano Gomez responded on 17 Jul 2017 10:38 PM

Thank you Béat :-)

Are you coming to Tech Conference in Fargo? You are an MVP, so the partner restriction does not apply to you.

Evan42 responded on 18 Jul 2017 7:39 AM

Excellent! I'm going to drop this into our test system and run it through the paces.  And by the way - big fan of your blog!  It's one of my go-to's when researching things.

Béat Bucher responded on 18 Jul 2017 8:19 AM

Hi Mariano,

I'd have loved to.. but bad timing and limited company budget prevents this from happening this year again.. I've to make tough choices and GPUG Summit will be my only GoTo this year :-(.

Enjoy & see you in Nashville !

Verified Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 17 Jul 2017 7:13 AM

Hi Evan,

I fear that there is no such thing possible in GP..  The location where to export the EFT file is defined in :  Financial >> Routines >> Financial >> Safe Pay >> Upload Maintenance

Unfortunately I don't think you're allowed to use any 'variables' in the path & file name, which leaves only with an option of post-processing, outside of GP.

I'd look for some resident application on the system that would pick the file in folder it was generated and append a date-time stamp to it..

If you own a product like SmartConnect, this is something that should be possible, but there are certainly other ways of doing it for less $$.

Hope this helps.

PS: you still could give it a try.. I don't have any EFT format setup right now, but try to add the %date% variable to your file name (i.e. EFT_export.txt would become EFT_Export_%date%.txt)

Verified Answer
Mariano Gomez responded on 17 Jul 2017 8:00 PM

I already did this for you and you can download the code for free. Take a look at my article:

Microsoft Dexterity: Customizing Safe Pay file name

All I ask is that you do not take credit for the code or that it is not commercially distributed. Your developer can feel free to modify as he/she sees fit, but never with an intention to distribute commercially. Thanks in advance for accepting these conditions.