Document attachment setup

Question Status

Suggested Answer
Nou asked a question on 1 Sep 2017 11:11 AM

Hi Guys

I'm working with Microsoft dynamic GP 9.0 and looking to attach some drawings or pdfs into Items. I know that the new versions of GP have this feature & option to attach some documents into items but this is the only version I have and I should find a way to attach some files into items with this version of GP. Can I do this with Setting up INI user setting? I really appreciate if you can give me some hints in this regard as soon as possible!

Thanks,

Suggested Answer
Jeffrey Bricks responded on 1 Sep 2017 1:03 PM

Hi Nou

Yes you can add attachments to master records and certain transactions in Dynamics GP 9.0.

Be aware that this is handled using an OLE container and the attached file must reside in a directory, preferably in a shared directory location unlike the newer document attachment functionality that uploads the attached document into the SQL tables.

For starters make sure you have a directory structure similar to this:

\Dynamics_share\notes\company 1\OLENotes

\Dynamics_share\notes\company 2\OLENotes

In the dex.ini file there should be a path

OLEPath= c:\xxxx Or OLEPath=\\yourserver\xxxx

If this does not exist, add the line OLEPath=

You can use a mapped drive but the preference is to use a UNC path.  If using a UNC path, make sure that you have a \ after the last directory  (ex.  \\yourserver\dynamics_share\notes\

Note that you must have this on all workstations' dex.ini file for all users to have access.

Nou responded on 5 Sep 2017 12:29 PM

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your fast reply,

So I went to Microsoft dynamic gp folder and clicked on dex.ini file and there was no OLEpath on that & when I wanted to add this line to that (OLEPath=c:\Dynamics_share\notes\company 1\OLENotes ) and wana save that,it says the access is denied & I can't do that!!!The second question is that, from what you said,,should I make this path (\Dynamics_share\notes\company 1\OLENotes) in for example drive c:\ and insert all the pdfs and excel files that I wana attach to the items in this folder or just a shared directory location?

Suggested Answer
Jeffrey Bricks responded on 5 Sep 2017 3:25 PM

Hi Nou

Sounds like the UAC controls are blocking you.

Open Notepad first using the Run as Administrator command

then navigate from within Notepad to the dex.ini file

You should be able to save the file now.

I like to have everything on a network shared drive so that regular backups can take place.

I would recommend that you put the documents on a network share.

Nou responded on 13 Sep 2017 9:11 AM

Thank you Jeffrey,

Ok I added this path to the dex.ini file:  OLEPath=\\svr-sql1\GPNotes\

& then, when I open the GP and choose an item number and click on note, then click on attachment button,an OLE container page will open which is just a clear white page and I can't add anything to that, the only option I have is just go to the file and print something!

My second Q is that should I bring all the pdfs and excel files into a share directory named by GPNotes?

Nou responded on 13 Sep 2017 9:56 AM

To give you more information regarding this issue, This is the share directory that I have:

G:\_class\GPNotes\TEST\OLENotes  

so did I miss to add anything or is there anything wrong with OLEpath?

Jeffrey Bricks responded on 13 Sep 2017 4:06 PM

Hi Nou

On your server you will need to have   \GPNotes\Company\OLENotes

Replace company with the Interid

you should see at the bottom of the Note window (bottom right corner) an Icon with a paper clip, Attach and Delete

Nou responded on 13 Sep 2017 10:04 PM

I already saw the icon with a paper clip in bottom of the note but when I click on that,the white page will open which just give me one option to print screen of something and paste it to this page to save it or print it!!! this is too limited.I'm looking to setup an attach icon that can show me a path to the documents folder to add different pdfs to one item!!!

Smitha Arun responded on 14 Sep 2017 12:07 AM

Hi Nou,

You wanted to add the PDF's in OLE Container window or in new Document Attachment window?

Thanks,

Smitha

Nou responded on 14 Sep 2017 8:10 AM

Hi Smitha,

Actually it doesn't matter as long as I could attach some Pdfs and Excels to each item but with this version of GP that I already have(9.0),it seems I don't have this option cause when I open the OLE container, I can just Print screen of a page, copy and paste it to the OLE container page to save or print it, that's it!!!

Jeffrey Bricks responded on 14 Sep 2017 8:45 AM

Hi Nou

Could you please provide a print screen of what you are referencing.  I can't recreate what you are seeing.

Also, since you are on GP v9 you are quite limited on what files you can attach.  The more recent releases of Dynamics GP allow you to have multiple attachments per record.

Nou responded on 14 Sep 2017 1:07 PM

Hi Jeffrey,

It seems I can't attach anything in here.I already sent some screen shots to your LinkedIn, please check it out!!!

Thank you

Suggested Answer
Jeffrey Bricks responded on 1 Sep 2017 1:03 PM

Hi Nou

Yes you can add attachments to master records and certain transactions in Dynamics GP 9.0.

Be aware that this is handled using an OLE container and the attached file must reside in a directory, preferably in a shared directory location unlike the newer document attachment functionality that uploads the attached document into the SQL tables.

For starters make sure you have a directory structure similar to this:

\Dynamics_share\notes\company 1\OLENotes

\Dynamics_share\notes\company 2\OLENotes

In the dex.ini file there should be a path

OLEPath= c:\xxxx Or OLEPath=\\yourserver\xxxx

If this does not exist, add the line OLEPath=

You can use a mapped drive but the preference is to use a UNC path.  If using a UNC path, make sure that you have a \ after the last directory  (ex.  \\yourserver\dynamics_share\notes\

Note that you must have this on all workstations' dex.ini file for all users to have access.

Suggested Answer
Jeffrey Bricks responded on 5 Sep 2017 3:25 PM

Hi Nou

Sounds like the UAC controls are blocking you.

Open Notepad first using the Run as Administrator command

then navigate from within Notepad to the dex.ini file

You should be able to save the file now.

I like to have everything on a network shared drive so that regular backups can take place.

I would recommend that you put the documents on a network share.