Sales Transaction Entry Window Too Big for One User

Question Status

Verified
john.ellis asked a question on 9 Feb 2018 12:01 PM

Hello:

Only one user is experiencing this issue, and she does not know what she did to cause it.

In GP 2016 R2, a user somehow made the Sales Transaction Entry window to be, well, too big.  The whole right-hand side of the window is grey.

This is the only window that is having this issue.

Several of us have tried resizing the window, while logged in with her GP User ID, but to no effect.

This issue occurs no matter what company she is logged into.  In fact, I believe this happens for her if she logs into the separate test environment.

What can be done to get the window to be the default size?

Thank you!

John

Mariano Gomez responded on 9 Feb 2018 12:08 PM

Do you by any chance know if they are using GP Power Tools? GP Power Tools remember's the window size and position. If they are using it, they can recall Power Tools to reset the window size and position.

john.ellis responded on 9 Feb 2018 2:04 PM

Hi Mariano:

Below is a paragraph from the manual for GP Power Tools, which the client does have.

Does the Reset Window Positions Button actually reset the size of GP windows or of just the Power Tools windows?

John

You can use the Reset Window Positions Button to clear the Dex.ini settings used for remembering the last window size, position and state for the GP Power Tools windows. Be sure all other GP Power Tools windows are closed when using this option.

Leslie Vail responded on 9 Feb 2018 7:06 PM

If another user logs into that same workstation is the window still too big? If that user logs into a different workstation, what happens to the size of the window? It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of what the window looks like and the answer to the questions above.

Kind regards,

Leslie

john.ellis responded on 9 Feb 2018 7:32 PM

Hi Leslie!

I'm, unfortunately, not in front of my laptop at the moment.  So, I can't post a screenshot.

But, to answer your questions, this is a Terminal Server environment.  In that sense, there is only one "workstation".

The window is double its normal size.  And, the entire right-hand side of the window is grey.  

This is happening for just one user.

Thanks!

John

Leslie Vail responded on 9 Feb 2018 8:32 PM

Does she have to 'scroll around' in order to see the window? Does she have a different type of monitor than the other folks. The other thing to check is the properties of the shortcut she uses to launch the application. Is this a published app or are they going in through RDC?

Leslie

john.ellis responded on 9 Feb 2018 9:04 PM

The behavior occurs no matter what monitor is used.

No, she doesn't have to scroll around.

They go in through RDC.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 10 Feb 2018 7:48 AM

Hi John,

Reseting the windows size and position will not harm your system in any ways with GPPT.. it will just put back default values in the DEX.ini fine on the terminal server side.

If all the users are sharing the same GP client on the server, you should consider using an individual configuration file for each user. Search my blog for a detailed explanation.

Verified Answer
Mariano Gomez responded on 10 Feb 2018 11:41 AM

I suspect each user has their own Dex.ini file in their user profile on the Terminal Server, OR they have enabled the Per User dex.ini setting, in which case the values will be stored in the system database. Can you confirm? If the Per User dex.ini is enabled, you will need to remove the settings from the SQL table storing the values... I have to look that up.

john.ellis responded on 15 Feb 2018 10:33 AM

Hi Mariano:

You were right, about GP Power Tools!

In the User Preferences window's "Additional" menu selection, there is a selection that resets GP windows to their default size.

Once we chose this, the issue was resolved.

Thanks, again!

And, thank you, to all of my other friends who chimed in!  All of you are true assets to the Microsoft Dynamics Community!

John

Verified Answer
Mariano Gomez responded on 10 Feb 2018 11:41 AM

I suspect each user has their own Dex.ini file in their user profile on the Terminal Server, OR they have enabled the Per User dex.ini setting, in which case the values will be stored in the system database. Can you confirm? If the Per User dex.ini is enabled, you will need to remove the settings from the SQL table storing the values... I have to look that up.

Suggested Answer
Béat Bucher responded on 10 Feb 2018 7:48 AM

Hi John,

Reseting the windows size and position will not harm your system in any ways with GPPT.. it will just put back default values in the DEX.ini fine on the terminal server side.

If all the users are sharing the same GP client on the server, you should consider using an individual configuration file for each user. Search my blog for a detailed explanation.