SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

GP 2013R2 forms.DIC cannot be opened

Microsoft Dynamics GP Forum

Joshua Ortiz asked a question on 8 May 2019 1:29 PM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Hi All, 

We are currently in the midst of testing the Upgrade from GP 2013R2 to 2018R2. In our test environment, i am unable to update the Forms.DIC after a SP update. This keeps GP from launching. I tried doing a fresh install, in which the forms.DIC is not present, but it just loads to a white background with an error stating "the dictionary for this form is missing". 

In GP Utilities, when trying to upgrade modified forms and reports, I see that it states "cannot open file" for the Forms.DIC. after reading through several posts and trying various methods, I am still at a loss. The problem here is, if the forms.DIC is in the data folder, when launching GP, it errors saying it needs to be updated. if its removed from the folder, i load into a white screen with no menu items. This keeps me from importing a new forms.DIC through the front end. 

I have verified the forms.DIC is not locked and I am the only user with access to the test server. I have also copied it from various other locations as well, just to make sure it wasn't a corrupted file, and if i leave GP 2013R2 at the current build (meaning i only go to the current SP) i load into GP fine. We do have customizations to some of the screens in GP as well. Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated. I can and will provide any information that I can for assistance. 

Perry Smith - ISS responded on 9 May 2019 11:23 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Joshua,

I would do an export of your modified windows to a reports package using Microsoft Dynamics GP>Customize>Customization Maintenance.

Start with no forms.dic and then import the package file.

Joshua Ortiz responded on 10 May 2019 12:22 PM

Hi Perry,

the problem we are facing is that we are unable to login to the GP front end to import the package files. so unfortunately, this solution will not work for us.

Joshua Ortiz responded on 10 May 2019 1:45 PM

I think you missed the main point. On the new server, GP will not launch, so I cannot import a package file, and when i try copying from an existing (working) location, GP utilities cannot upgrade the Forms.DIC

kdd281 responded on 10 May 2019 2:37 PM
My Badges

Based on your explanation I would try these steps:

1) Reinstall GP, make sure you delete the old install folder

2) GP should start without any customization - Make sure SA is using the non modified forms in its profile.

2) Then export the forms from another workstation (GP 2013) using customization maintenance then import into 2018R2; You may have to export/import certain forms and report modifications in your 2013 install till you find the one causing the issue.

Perry Smith - ISS responded on 9 May 2019 11:23 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Joshua,

I would do an export of your modified windows to a reports package using Microsoft Dynamics GP>Customize>Customization Maintenance.

Start with no forms.dic and then import the package file.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS