Monitor GP Events externally

This question is answered

I'm trying to monitor a particular event in Dynamics GP, when customer SO's have been created. I have looked into GP extension methods (documentation is great on MSDN, but nothing is working) and also into message queuing via eConnect. I found little to no documentation online for this purpose. I've been doing an extensive amount of research but yielding no results.... any pro with advice? Here is a link to my extension assembly question:

community.dynamics.com/.../103588.aspx

I'm open to any option to obtain this info...

Verified Answer
  • Donald, as an example of what I use the complete suite of EI Dynamics for is a feature(bug) in GP. It has to do the GL IV account and the IV HITB balance. I have found that edit PO's can easily get those two out of balance so I start with an email alert to let me know they are out of balance. I then go off an write these occurrences off to a log file for further processing. A final step involves flipping a flag to tell me the correction has been made. So EI Dynamics not only sends an alert based on some SQL script but then also can evoke other processes to do pretty much anything I want it to do. Things can also be scheduled or run ad-hoc. We have found it to be extremely useful and fairly intuitive.

Richard E. Wheeler 2013 and 2014 MVP

Member Microsoft Academic Alliance

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

All Replies
  • Do you want an email alert when this happens or some other type of alert? www.EIDynamics.com has an excellent tool for something like this.

www.rbsolutions.com Revered Business Solutions Ballston Lake, NY  518-877-0763 x10

• I need to have the SO data available so that i can create an EDI and send it on its merry way (to an FTP location)

• So users are entering sales orders and then you want to be able to push a button and have all these sales orders sent to the customers as an EDI document or to the vendors as EDI documents? Are you looking for a true EDI solution or do you want to create your own application? The EIDynamics product could still be of use here because you could set it up to be triggered for any new orders entered and then you could move just that data off to some work tables and then do whatever is necessary to send the data off on its merry way.

• Exactly, i'm not opposed to using a 3rd party tool. I would prefer to integrate this myself through either the eConnect API or Dynamic GP SDK.

• The EDI part is covered...

• Well then you are putting a trigger on the SOP10200 looking for ORDERS and then have code behind the trigger that tracks these orders and and flag to indicate whether the order have been processed as an EDI document. That is all EI Dynamics would be doing. I just believe why waste time devising code that has already been written, in other words, no sense in reinventing the wheel. There are several options available to do what you want. You can use eConnect and your custom code to get exactly what you need or you employ some third party products to get close to what you want and then bits and pieces of code to bring it all together.

• Yes, i understand. The main issue is finding someone knowledgeable (experienced) enough about this particular task. Utilizing a 3rd party tool would be an option if it was at a good price... However, being the developer that i am, i'd rather dig a bit deeper before i give up on Microsoft's solutions (SDK's) using what i mentioned. I've followed the extension assembly documentation completely, the eConnect method of Transaction Requester (which documentation is vague) and had no luck with either... I performed remote debugging on the extension assembly and the method wasn't even getting called...

I appreciate the info on the 3rd party tool.

• You already own the tool you need.  It comes with GP and is called Business Alerts.  This part of GP monitors events (like the saving of SOP orders). Our book The MS Dynamics GP Power User Handbook explains how to setup Business Alerts.  Check it out on our web site.

Richard L. Whaley Author, Publisher, Consultant

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

Enhancing your Dynamics Knowledge!

• I'm certain GP Business Alerts is not a sufficient tool for this particular task... I see how it can email the PO at the top level of its functionality. I could route the PO to a "Developer" email that i could then design an office plugin to automate the final steps of the procedure, but it seems a bit overkill  vs. the methods that were purposely created for this by MS, with GP extension assemblies. I just can't seem to get it working like MSDN states it should...

• Sorry, SO not PO

• Then lookup Vinyardsoft.com on the web, call them, and tell them what you need to do.  Their product (knowledge sync) is referred to as Business Alerts on Steroids.  The were at Convergence this year and I have known them and used there product for 12 years.  Tell them I sent you.  

• I'll look into that now Richard, thank you.

• I did some research on both companies (EI Dynamics and Vinyardsoft). Both look like they would do the job (spoke with some reps from the companies), but EI Dynamics comes with an extremely heavy price (and maintenance fees), where Vinyardsoft seams to be a bit more reasonable (EI Dynamics product almost $4,000, Vinyardsoft's product was about $1,000).

My solution:

I ended up figuring out how to get eConnect's Transaction Requester working properly with MSMQ. I can now get live PO transactions straight from the message queue with a detailed list about the transaction. This for now seams like the more "logical" choice for my company in regards to cost and maintenance.

Thank you both for your help.

• Just for reference for the future, VineyardSoft created the industry!

• I am with Ei Dynamics.  Not sure where you did your research or received your information from but to just do email alerts Ei Dynamics is $900.  If you need to do report automation and EDI then yes our software is $4,900 which I believe is pretty close to Vinyard's pricing for the same functionality but we price a little differently so there are some various nuances where you could argue one is cheaper than the other depending on how you spin it.

Glad you we're able to find a solution to your problem without any additional software.