Error occurred while loading or initializing an addin

Question Status

Verified
Frank Hamelly asked a question on 3 May 2013 10:45 AM

I jsut did a fresh install of SQL2012 and GP2013 on my laptop.  I get this error when trying to login to GP.  Reviewing the Windows Event Log, I see this message detail:

The description for Event ID 0 from source Microsoft Dexterity cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An exception occurred while trying to load or initialize the addin located at Rtc.

Exception Details:

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast COM object of type 'CommunicatorAPI.MessengerClass' to interface type 'CommunicatorAPI.IMessenger3'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{D50C3386-0F89-48F8-B204-3604629DEE10}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).

at System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetCOMIPFromRCW(Object objSrc, IntPtr pCPCMD, Boolean& pfNeedsRelease)

at CommunicatorAPI.MessengerClass.get_MyStatus()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.GP.Rtc.GPAddInUC.activateCommunicator()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.GP.Rtc.GPAddInUC.Initialize()

at Microsoft.Dynamics.GP.Rtc.GPAddIn.Initialize()

at Microsoft.Dexterity.Bridge.AddinManager.LoadAddin(String name, Type type)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Any ideas how I resolve this?  I tried uninstalling and re-installing both SQL and GP, but that didn't resolve it.

Thanks,

Richard L. Whaley responded on 3 May 2013 11:08 AM

You probably know these but I am going to run through them anyway.  We all miss something sometime.

Do you have enough space on the drive?  Does your login to the laptop have rights to create folders, create and delete files, etc (I would expect you would have admin on your personal laptop).  I am guessing that it is trying to create files in the Data subdirectory or the AddIns folder.

You did install to the Programs(x86) folder.  Have you checked the .SET file to make sure it is pointing to the correct folders?

Are you loading RTM or SP1?

Frank Hamelly responded on 3 May 2013 3:11 PM

Enough space on drive - check

Admin rights - check

(x86) - check

.SET - check

Installed RTM

What seems odd is that I haven't installed any Addins yet.  Furthermore, I installed this same version of GP2013 previously and didn't have this issue.  Might it be some remnant from the previous install?

Thanks Richard.

Richard L. Whaley responded on 3 May 2013 6:33 PM

That's a possibility.  Was an older version (2010 or 10) of GP on this system?  I have not run into this but then I always install on a fresh VMWare virtual machine so I have no left over pieces.....

Frank Hamelly responded on 3 May 2013 7:14 PM

Yes, I had 2010 in this machine also.  But, I had previously installed 2013 and had 2010 and 2013 both running on it.  Had 2010 running on SQL 2008 R2 and 2013 running on SQL 2012.  I'm starting to think there may be something left in the registry that's causing the issue.

Leslie Vail responded on 3 May 2013 8:30 PM

Hi Frank,

I've never seen that message, so I'm no help (boo, hiss), but I have a couple of ideas. I looked at my vanilla installation to see if any Addins were automatically installed. My Addins folder was empty. Is your Addins folder empty? If you take everything except the Dynamics.dic out of your .set file, do you still get the error?

Kind regards,

Leslie

PS Are you coming to Tech Conference in September?

Verified Answer
Jonathan Fear responded on 7 May 2013 12:19 PM

Any 3rd party products being used? Are you using something like Shortel Communicator or something similar to Lync? We see problems with those applications some times. Remove this file and it should resolve the issue Microsoft.Dynamics.GP.Rtc.dll

Frank Hamelly responded on 7 May 2013 8:08 PM

That did the trick Jonathan.  The only thing I can think of from a communicator perspective is I recently did the Live Messenger to Skype conversion.  I wonder if that had some effect?  I have previously installed GP 2013 on this machine, prior to the Messenger to Skype conversion and didn't encounter the issue.

Thanks Jonathan!

Leslie Vail responded on 7 May 2013 11:57 PM

Frank and Jonathan,

This is something that would make someone crazy. I mean, really, if Frank has a question it's got to be a hard problem. With that in mind, I posted an article on my blog that refers back to this post.

Live the dream!!

Thanks for all you do for us!

Leslie

Windi Epperson responded on 12 Jul 2013 8:16 AM

Frank,

Is this the file you removed:  Microsoft.Dynamics.GP.Rtc.dll ?

If so, where did you find it to remove it?

Thanks,

Windi

Windi Epperson responded on 12 Jul 2013 8:53 AM

I am having this same issue, but removing the file did not work for me.  I do have a few ISV products - but I did not have them installed when I initially launched GP.  So I installed them hoping that was the issue, but no luck.

I am at a standstill on my customer upgrade and there is no documentation to help.  Any thoughts anyone???

Shyam Nath responded on 14 Aug 2013 3:45 AM

Windi - If you are still stuck with this issue:

Did you try Repair Dynamics GP. I also had the same issue and after deleting the dll didn't solve my issue. I then went to Programs and Features to repair Dynamics GP. You will be asked to run Utilities after the Repair and you will be able to launch GP 2013.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Shyam.

Suggested Answer
Mark Hisken responded on 29 Aug 2013 7:46 PM

Our solution to this error ended up being fixing one line of bad code in the 3rd party addin.

Lisa.sorensen responded on 1 Apr 2014 11:41 AM

I encountered the same error message but fortunately, it was on my virtual image so I know what created the error. I have an SP2 version of Dynamics GP 2013 but realized I had installed Smartlist Builder when it was still RTM but wanted to play with the new Smartlist Designer that is built-in to the SP2 rollout. I thought it would be smart to remove the Smartlist Builder to reduce any possible conflicts, but the removal of Smartlist Builder is what caused the same error as everyone else is encountering.

I tried to delete the *.dll, ran the Repair process and re-launched the Utilities and still received the error message when launching Dynamics GP. The error message in the Event Viewer provided the following error: "

An exception occurred while trying to load or initialize the addin located at ExcelBuilder."

Anyone come up with a resolution for this issue?

Jonathan Fear responded on 9 Apr 2014 8:45 AM

Lisa you are running into a completely different error then what Frank was. What is the error you are getting LIsa?

Lisa.sorensen responded on 9 Apr 2014 9:34 AM

Hi Jonathan,

I received the same error as Frank encountered when attempting to launch Dynamics GP 2013 R2 "An error occurred while initializing or loading an Addin"

In reviewing the Event Viewer, the following message log showed the following:

"The description for Event ID 0 from source Microsoft Dexterity cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

An exception occurred while trying to load or initialize the addin located at ExcelBuilder.

Exception Details:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'eOne.Dynamics.GP.ExcelBuilder.Engine, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1733967c99f3f7dc' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'eOne.Dynamics.GP.ExcelBuilder.Engine, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1733967c99f3f7dc'

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMarkHandle stackMark, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName, ObjectHandleOnStack type)

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.GetTypeByName(String name, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean loadTypeFromPartialName)

at System.RuntimeType.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError, Boolean ignoreCase, Boolean reflectionOnly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Type.GetType(String typeName, Boolean throwOnError)

at Microsoft.Dexterity.Bridge.AddinManager.LoadAddinsFromConfig(String configPath, String sectionName)"

I reviewed the Addin folder, which was empty, reviewed the dynamics.set file to make sure the Smartlist Builder dictionaries were not listed, checked the Dynamics GP folder to make sure the dictionaries were not present, ran the repair process and re-launched Utilities. I don't have Lync or Skype or any other communicator tool installed in the virtual environment and attempted every troubleshooting option I came across via a google search for removing Smartlist Builder for prior versions.

when I added the Smartlist Builder dictionary back into Dynamics GP, the error disappeared.

Verified Answer
Jonathan Fear responded on 7 May 2013 12:19 PM

Any 3rd party products being used? Are you using something like Shortel Communicator or something similar to Lync? We see problems with those applications some times. Remove this file and it should resolve the issue Microsoft.Dynamics.GP.Rtc.dll

Suggested Answer
Mark Hisken responded on 29 Aug 2013 7:46 PM

Our solution to this error ended up being fixing one line of bad code in the 3rd party addin.

Suggested Answer
Joel P Rodencal responded on 3 Dec 2014 3:53 PM

To all:

So I ran across the same issue today in regards to I originally had Smartlist Builder installed and then realized I didn't need it so I uninstalled SLB which is suppose to remove all references to it.

I stumbled around as well trying to figure out the eone.ExcelBuilder....... error message as well.

I found the following post which takes you through the steps that are needed to get past the error:

http://support.eonesolutions.com/Support/Forum.aspx?forumid=26&threadid=1378&replyto=1388&mode=quote