Question Status

Suggested Answer
Aaron Bennett asked a question on 16 Mar 2015 6:06 PM

I really need help with the best resources for learning Dynamics 2013 GP.

Aaron Bennett

Suggested Answer
Mahmoud M. AlSaadi responded on 16 Mar 2015 6:28 PM

Hello again Aaron,

I have already provided my thoughts on your inquiries, regarding learning the product and reaching the best resources out there.

I would simply say for this specific inquiry that there is no magical pill for learning an ERP system like Dynamics GP in a matter of few days. Contacting a specialized partner would be your best option since the training and the type of knowledge you are seeking is definitely derived from your requirements. Are you working on a new implementation of the product, migrating from an old system, maintaining an old implemented GP system ...etc ? How about the staff, the scope of the product and the registered modules .. ?

Too many questions which are absolutely needed to be answered in order for the training to deliver the desired value.  So many clients I have worked with had previously started by considering an in-house approach to learn the product and apply their own knowledge on a live implementation, the results were catastrophic and they always get back to a specialized partner who got the know-how and the rich experience.

Your feedback is highly appreciated,  

Best Regards,

Mahmoud M. AlSaadi

Dynamics GP Essentials |   mahmoudsaadi.blogspot.com

Aaron Bennett responded on 16 Mar 2015 11:16 PM

this is an existing implementation and I have spent the last few years implementing SAP and also teaching it so taking 1 look at this product makes me know that I would be able to easily learn it but I am interested in learning advanced features and utilizing customize-able reporting that I have put in place.  My experience with SAP is all from HP where I was basically living and breathing the product.  I have also rebuilt other more complex systems such as Deltec GCS which is not well known at all and is government contract specific so I realize I sound like someone who is very naive with my questions however at HP alot of my success came from the access to unlimited product documentation from SAP on how each module worked in extreme detail and spending the necessary time reading this which most Financial Analysts would never do.  I would even sum an 80 page document down to a page or two for my team and for the account leadership to make it something they could read with the amount of time they had available.  I also noticed in my first day of working with the software that Business Objects was available and so know that query's could be built using that.  I didn't actually have alot of time learning this because of my heavy involvement in migrating SAP for two major accounts back to back as well as knowing people who were experts with writing these queries but would love to find resources on that as well...

Aaron Bennett

Suggested Answer
Victoria Yudin responded on 17 Mar 2015 3:02 AM

Aaron,

What will probably be very difficult to find is one resource that will give you everything.

Since a lot of Dynamics GP implementations are very specific to the environment and can be highly customized, it is often best as a start to get together with your Dynamics GP Partner and get training and guidance from them on how to proceed with the things you need. From there, you could use this forum to ask more specific questions if they are not time sensitive or critical and get additional support from your GP Partner or from Microsoft Support directly if something is critical or time sensitive.

Each module in GP has pretty extensive documentation, both inside the product via help files and with manuals.You can start by clicking on the Help icon inside Dynamics GP and selecting Printable manuals.

There are also a lot of blogs our there about Dynamics GP - do some Google searches on specific things you're looking for and you will find lots of information.

Hope this helps get you started.

Suggested Answer
Leslie Vail responded on 17 Mar 2015 6:45 AM

Hi Aaron,

If you want to know more about data flows, be sure to download and utilize the information in the SDK. You can find the SDK in the Tools folder of your installation media. There are also several books focusing on Dynamics GP; look at Packt Publishing and Accolade Publications for different titles

Kind regards,

Leslie

Leslie Vail, CPA, MVP, MCT, MCITP, MCP, MCITS
ASCI, Inc.    *    PO Box 600965   *   Dallas, TX 75360    *   972-814-8550   *   leslievail@earthlink.net

Mahmoud M. AlSaadi responded on 17 Mar 2015 6:51 AM

Aaron,

When talking about the data flow, a legendary article stands tall; Table Names and Transaction Flow.

Best Regards,

Mahmoud M. AlSaadi

Suggested Answer
Mahmoud M. AlSaadi responded on 16 Mar 2015 6:28 PM

Hello again Aaron,

I have already provided my thoughts on your inquiries, regarding learning the product and reaching the best resources out there.

I would simply say for this specific inquiry that there is no magical pill for learning an ERP system like Dynamics GP in a matter of few days. Contacting a specialized partner would be your best option since the training and the type of knowledge you are seeking is definitely derived from your requirements. Are you working on a new implementation of the product, migrating from an old system, maintaining an old implemented GP system ...etc ? How about the staff, the scope of the product and the registered modules .. ?

Too many questions which are absolutely needed to be answered in order for the training to deliver the desired value.  So many clients I have worked with had previously started by considering an in-house approach to learn the product and apply their own knowledge on a live implementation, the results were catastrophic and they always get back to a specialized partner who got the know-how and the rich experience.

Your feedback is highly appreciated,  

Best Regards,

Mahmoud M. AlSaadi

Suggested Answer
Victoria Yudin responded on 17 Mar 2015 3:02 AM

Aaron,

What will probably be very difficult to find is one resource that will give you everything.

Since a lot of Dynamics GP implementations are very specific to the environment and can be highly customized, it is often best as a start to get together with your Dynamics GP Partner and get training and guidance from them on how to proceed with the things you need. From there, you could use this forum to ask more specific questions if they are not time sensitive or critical and get additional support from your GP Partner or from Microsoft Support directly if something is critical or time sensitive.

Each module in GP has pretty extensive documentation, both inside the product via help files and with manuals.You can start by clicking on the Help icon inside Dynamics GP and selecting Printable manuals.

There are also a lot of blogs our there about Dynamics GP - do some Google searches on specific things you're looking for and you will find lots of information.

Hope this helps get you started.

Suggested Answer
Leslie Vail responded on 17 Mar 2015 6:45 AM

Hi Aaron,

If you want to know more about data flows, be sure to download and utilize the information in the SDK. You can find the SDK in the Tools folder of your installation media. There are also several books focusing on Dynamics GP; look at Packt Publishing and Accolade Publications for different titles

Kind regards,

Leslie

Leslie Vail, CPA, MVP, MCT, MCITP, MCP, MCITS
ASCI, Inc.    *    PO Box 600965   *   Dallas, TX 75360    *   972-814-8550   *   leslievail@earthlink.net