SBX - Forum Post Title

Sales Order Processing Changes

Microsoft Dynamics GP Forum

BABU BASKARAN asked a question on 7 Dec 2017 5:05 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Dear All,

We have the following requirement, can anyone suggest what is the best approach to achieve this.

1) Sales order entered in sale order processing and saved  on 1.12.17 for $1,000

2) Sales  Order Booking report generated  on 1.12.17 $ 1,000

3) The sales person goes and increase the price on 5.12.17 total of the order is now $ 1500

4) The sales person goes and reduced the qty  on 10.12.17 total of the order is now $ 900

In the above scenario in normal situation if management runs the report for the Sales Order Booking on 1.12.17 the number is changed and this standard behavior of GP.  But what we wanted to achieve is, the report of booking should be intact and changes to the sales order is allowed since its will be required as per business needs.  But I wanted to record all the activities on the sales order after its saved in the first time and use the same on the sales booking report.  In ideal situation it will work like the following.

1) Sales Order booking report run on 1.12.17 - total booking $ 1,000

2) Changes made to the same sales order on 5.12.17 - total booking $ 500 (this is the increase from previous $1000)

3) Changes made to the same sales order on 10.12.17 - total booking negative $ 600 (this is the decrease from previous $1500)

I wanted to record all these in behind to generate the booking report, can anyone recommend how to do this.  Dexterity development or visual studio development.

Tim Wappat responded on 7 Dec 2017 5:18 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

I think from what you are saying, that you'd like more control of how you see changes to your bookings.

Our solution to provide more granular information for this problem of sales order lines being added/removed/updated over time, was to to record the changes from one day to another our own table, using SQL job overnight with a bespoke report laying on top to see how the booking vary over time and be able to drill into changes.

Its not something I could share as it is very bespoke to our business needs. Day to day changes were enough for us as we have a very busy SOP.

Other people may know of other solutions.

Tim.

BABU BASKARAN responded on 7 Dec 2017 7:13 AM
My Badges

Thanks for your kind reply Tim, yes I am also planning to record the changes in a separate table and use that table to generate report.

Syed aka Szars (cesar) arshad responded on 7 Dec 2017 7:44 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

That is the right and the best way and I did the same maintaining the changes in a separate tables and showing like alog trace the and creating alerts .

BABU BASKARAN responded on 7 Dec 2017 10:09 AM
My Badges

Thanks Syed for your kind reply.

I have a different approach to this.

Setup a special order type called Bookings (ORDBOOK) and one called Standard Order (ORDSTD). The booking orders will not allocate any inventory. When you do your initial order, create it as a booking order. Then use the Order Copy feature in SOP to create the first subsequent change as a copy of the booking. You can setup a user-defined field that will allow you to capture the initial order number, or you can replace the std order number to match that of the booking.

I have not tested this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Syed aka Szars (cesar) arshad responded on 7 Dec 2017 10:56 AM
My Badges

Mariano,

Then how will the reporting be done and if there qty. and price changes multiple time and how will report who changed and why ? I think the idea was to see movement of an order if there are changes in it. Also, what about if price changes occurs after order has been crated as there no rule when price or qty. can changes both ways decreased or increased.

Syed,

I believe the intent is to simply keep track of what the original order was, I don't read anything above that says they want to keep track of subsequent changes.

Syed aka Szars (cesar) arshad responded on 7 Dec 2017 1:02 PM
My Badges

But I wanted to record all the activities on the sales order after its saved in the first time and use the same on the sales booking report.  "

BABU BASKARAN responded on 7 Dec 2017 4:21 PM
My Badges

Hi Mariano thanks for your kind reply, I like your idea but we need to monitor and report the changes in the booking report on each day until the order moved to history after it’s transferred to invoice.

Leslie Vail responded on 23 Dec 2017 4:13 AM
Verified Answer

Babu,

It sounds like you may need to use something akin to an audit trail program. This could keep track of any changes made to the document since it was originated.

Kind regards,

Leslie

Tim Wappat responded on 7 Dec 2017 5:18 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

I think from what you are saying, that you'd like more control of how you see changes to your bookings.

Our solution to provide more granular information for this problem of sales order lines being added/removed/updated over time, was to to record the changes from one day to another our own table, using SQL job overnight with a bespoke report laying on top to see how the booking vary over time and be able to drill into changes.

Its not something I could share as it is very bespoke to our business needs. Day to day changes were enough for us as we have a very busy SOP.

Other people may know of other solutions.

Tim.

Syed aka Szars (cesar) arshad responded on 7 Dec 2017 7:44 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

That is the right and the best way and I did the same maintaining the changes in a separate tables and showing like alog trace the and creating alerts .

Leslie Vail responded on 23 Dec 2017 4:13 AM
Verified Answer

Babu,

It sounds like you may need to use something akin to an audit trail program. This could keep track of any changes made to the document since it was originated.

Kind regards,

Leslie

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS