SBX - Forum Post Title

Year End routine process cycled

Microsoft Dynamics GP Forum

Juli asked a question on 26 Mar 2018 1:27 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Unanswered

Hi,

A client is trying to run the year end process, but this never ends... I activated a SQL Tracer and it shows an insert in GL20001 table, but the proceess seems to be cycled, if I check the table I found the same records number and they don´t change the amounts for debit and credit columns, this process never ends and never execute the routine to copy from GL20000 to GL30000.

The versión of GP is GP2010.

Regards

Julia Gallegos

Julia, the first thing I would do is to ensure I have the latest Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 service pack, with the latest year-end patch. Also, try running the year-end process from the server directly, to rule out any network connectivity issues.

Juli responded on 27 Mar 2018 12:14 PM
My Badges

Hi Mariano, GP is in SP1 and is running in the GP client server, now I have a test server to check the problem we are closing 2016 year, but the user reported the close year for 2015 was fast.

I found in SY00500 table a record with Bachnumb= GL Closing, I needed to delete this record in order to run the close year to 2016, maybe some information is incorrect or some else in tables is in incorrect, I don´t know if this can be a problem.

Last night was running the process but It doesn´t finish, and I only found the GL20001 table updated

Regards

Julia

Juli responded on 27 Mar 2018 12:54 PM
My Badges

Can you give me more detail about GL20001 table?

At this moment I see in it, records for OPENYEAR 2017, the TRXDATE has 2016-12-31 but I can't find recrods from other years.

Regards

Julia

Peter Bailey responded on 28 Mar 2018 3:50 AM

Hi,

I believe (?) that GL20001 is used to store balance brought forward in multicurrency for open years. There is another table GL30001 for historic years. These tables seem not to be listed in some of the usual locations (e.g. Tools>>Resource Descriptions>>Tables).

We turned on multicurrency and the GL year-end step went from a few minutes (maybe 15 or 30 mins) to over 24 hours - and for most(?) of that time a sql profiler trace was showing GL20001 entries (probably the same entries that  you're seeing but I'm not certain)

At one level, if you leave it long enough it may well complete. At another having the GL year-end taking over 24 hours to complete is a border-line problem for us (48 hours+ would be a definite problem) and if anyone knows how to speed this up, that would be useful for us. (We are currently on GP2016R2).

We are a relatively large site with thousands of transactions per day.

Thanks

Peter 

Juli responded on 28 Mar 2018 11:56 AM
My Badges

Peter and all,

Finally... I found the problem, this is caused by a configuration in GP

Dynamics GP > Tools > Setup > Financial > Multicurrency

Section: Currency Translation Default

when you change that configuration or assign an Exchange ID for some currency, the year-end process execute the INSERT TO GL20001, GL BBF Translation Open

This process takes a lot of time

I hope this can help you.

Regards

Julia

Peter Bailey responded on 29 Mar 2018 3:33 AM

Julia,

Your results are very interesting....and a little confusing.

We are a genuine multicurrency site (sales and purchases in multiple currencies) but currently probably have no requirement for currency translation as all our reporting is in functional currency. We don't even use Management Reporter.

It sounds like we could delete the currency translation defaults, possibly without any negative impact at all, and greatly speed up our GL year-end.

Does anyone have the knowledge to categorically say whether this is true or not?

Thanks

Peter

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS