SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Table Import Segment Descriptions

Microsoft Dynamics GP Forum

Lisa Sorensen asked a question on 29 Oct 2011 3:09 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

I have used Table Import in the past to update the Account Segment Descriptions for all the segments but now I can't get the descriptions to import correctly.

I have an Excel *.csv file with 3 columns:

Segment Number    Segment ID  Segment Name

2                                     00                 Corporate

2                                     01                 Alabama

I have created a Import Definition using the Segment Description Master table and mapped the columns accordingly to Fields 1, 2, and 3 and all 51 records failed.  To troubleshoot, I used a constant value for the Segment # column and still all records failed to import.

The COA has already been loaded so all the Segment ID values are already in Dynamics GP. Do I need to load the Segment Descriptions before I load the COA? What am I overlooking?

I googled it and every post I could find had me doing the steps I followed but still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis W Cogle responded on 7 Dec 2011 9:00 AM

Did you find an answer to this question? I'm trying to do the same thing; however I wonder if Table Import can 'update' records. Table Import may only be able to 'add' records.

Steve Cummings responded on 13 Jan 2012 12:45 PM

Lisa,

Unfortunately, it appears that this is import only. It would be nice if this worked for updates.  

Below is a newer post by a colleague of mine.  The process works well, but takes a little initial setup.  That being said, once done, you can use it for almost any updates.

www.esicanada.com/.../take-a-look-at-importing-gp-account-segment-descriptions

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Ian Grieve responded on 14 Jan 2012 12:52 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

I've just done a post on azurecurve which explains how to update the Segment descriptions from a CSV file without having to go through Word by using the SQL command BULK INSERT.

Lisa Sorensen responded on 14 Jan 2012 7:41 PM
My Badges

Ian - The SQL Bulk Insert is a great idea and it just so happens I am having to do the same thing again for another client so the timing is great. Thank you and Steve for your feedbacks on this. I appreciate it!

Ian Grieve responded on 14 Jan 2012 12:52 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

I've just done a post on azurecurve which explains how to update the Segment descriptions from a CSV file without having to go through Word by using the SQL command BULK INSERT.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS