Dynamics NAV / 365 Business Central Extensions are a way for NAV developers and ISVs to extend the functionality of NAV without modifying Microsoft’s original source code.

Simplanova Report Converter automates conversion from Classic NAV report version to RDLC, but how about Extensions? This question is relevant to most of our customers and Dynamics Community. In this blog post, I will provide simple steps on how to convert Classic NAV report (I will use 206 Sales – Invoice report) to Extension in a couple of minutes.

Requirements:

• Working Classic report with related tables;
  • Simplanova Classic Converter installed in NAV2018/D365BC with couple licence points;
  • Visual Studio Code with AL language extension.

Step 1:

Export classic report and related tables as text (for example I used report 206 Sales – Invoice report);

Step 2:

Convert report to RDLC format with Simplanova Report Converter:

Before converting make sure that report works in C/Side

Export your converted report as text file.

Step 3:

Open CMD and go to your NAV/D365BC directory example: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\130.CU2\RoleTailored Client.

Step 4:

Export converted report to new syntax: finsql.exe Command=ExportToNewSyntax, File=”<Directory>/<OutputFileName>.txt”, Database=”NAV_1300_W1_Demo “, ServerName=ServerName, Filter=Type=report;ID=72206

Step 5:

Create your own txt2AL conversion line from template:

txt2al –source=”<Directory with your report> ” –target=”<Output Directory>” –rename –extensionStartId=50000

Grab your converted report from output directory and put it in AL solution.

Step 6:

For test purposes I created new AL project with my converted report:

And first, build:

Ups something went wrong, from short investigation looks like ‘0’ now works like char, but in layout we expect text. In dataset columns I replaced  ‘0’ to Format(‘0’):

Fingers crossed and…

Oh and don’t forget to set ApplicationArea property for request page fields:

Hope this blog post was useful and now you will be able not just convert Classic NAV report to RDLC, but also, to have the result as the Extension in a couple of minutes!

If you have any questions, contact our team by email – sales@simplanova.com. If you want to test Simplanova Report Converter – just submit the form below.

The post How to convert Classic NAV report to Extension with Simplanova Report Converter appeared first on Simplanova.