SBX - Forum Post Title

Character limits in text fields

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Forum

HHI asked a question on 14 Feb 2018 9:47 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

Hi,

I need to have a product description field where I can add really long formatted lists, 1000+ characters.
Since SQL can handle it I don't see why Navision can't. I am OK with creating a new field if necessary. 

Is this possible in Nav2016?

Thanks for all hints in the right direction

HHi

Suggested Answer

No not possible. A field of type = Text on a NAV table can be max 250 length. This is by design.

I suggest to use Description (50 chars as default), Description 2 (50 chars as default) and for longest item descriptions there is the standard Extended Text table where you can place text as long as you want (N rows).

HHI responded on 14 Feb 2018 9:58 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ahmed M. Rafik responded on 14 Feb 2018 10:01 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can use the "Standard Extended Text" for long formatted characters.

If you find this information helpful, Click Yes to Verify the answer to share with other community members.

Claudio Martell responded on 14 Feb 2018 1:08 PM
My Badges

Hi,

If you have development skills you can create a Blob field on the NAV table, this allows you to store unlimited text. The Blob field though will not be displayed as a normal field on a Page so there will be some development work to make it visible and editable.

The alternative is, as other have said, to use mulitple (max 250 character) text fields. Take care in creating large text fields or Blob fields as they can affect performance.

Hope this helps.

Claudio 

Andrey Baludin responded on 15 Feb 2018 2:07 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer
HHI responded on 14 Feb 2018 9:58 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Thanks a lot for your help.

Suggested Answer

No not possible. A field of type = Text on a NAV table can be max 250 length. This is by design.

I suggest to use Description (50 chars as default), Description 2 (50 chars as default) and for longest item descriptions there is the standard Extended Text table where you can place text as long as you want (N rows).

Ahmed M. Rafik responded on 14 Feb 2018 10:01 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can use the "Standard Extended Text" for long formatted characters.

If you find this information helpful, Click Yes to Verify the answer to share with other community members.

Andrey Baludin responded on 15 Feb 2018 2:07 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS