SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Your Reference vs. External Document No.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Forum

GreatScott001 asked a question on 15 May 2018 10:31 AM

Question Status

Verified

In Business Central, on Sales Quote you get Your Reference, why is this not External Document No.?  External Document No. is used on Sales Order, Sales Invoice and Posted Sales Invoice.  The Your Reference field is carried through all the "stages" but only on Sales Quote are you given (without modification) Your Reference.   

Any rationale for this?

What is the distinction between Your Reference and External Document No.?  Why have both?

Verified Answer

External Document No. specifies the number that the customer uses in their own system to refer to this sales document. You can fill this field to use it later to search for sales lines using the customer's order number.

Your Reference is quite often the same, it’s a reference for the customer.

Rich Z responded on 1 Jun 2018 3:30 PM

We're using External Doc to track purchase orders from schools. Is there a way to link an external doc number to a PO dollar amount and track the transactions against it?

Schools will frequently receive a PO for supplies for a school year and draw it down with purchases over several months.  Right now we use offline process to keep track of balances.  Teachers will very frequently ask how much they have left to spend.  

Ideally I would be able to set up a campaign(?) or opportunity and track various purchases over they year.  Any suggestions how we can do this in NAV would be greatly appreciated.

Suggested Answer

I think you can use blanket purchase order and “detach” N purchase orders when needed.

More info here:

Rich Z responded on 1 Jun 2018 3:50 PM

No that won't work.  On our manufacturing side it would - but I'm in the wholesale/retail division, selling 14-15,000 skus.  A school PO is a maximum allowable spending limit: they will draw it down over time until depleted.  They will buy many different items at different points throughout the school year.  Of course I want them to use the full amount but I don't have a great way of tracking it - except with pencil and paper.  With 100 PO's it is too easy to lose track.

Using Campaign differently: it would be great to set up a campaign = a PO, where the "campaign" is the maximum allowance expenditure.  Using the communication tools available within a campaign could be used to remind teachers what's left to spend; when items are discontinued or when special offers are available.

Thanks for your response - I know what I'm trying to do is in NAV, somewhere . . .

Suggested Answer

With little customizations I’m sure that it could fit ;-)

Verified Answer

External Document No. specifies the number that the customer uses in their own system to refer to this sales document. You can fill this field to use it later to search for sales lines using the customer's order number.

Your Reference is quite often the same, it’s a reference for the customer.

Suggested Answer

I think you can use blanket purchase order and “detach” N purchase orders when needed.

More info here:

Suggested Answer

With little customizations I’m sure that it could fit ;-)

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS