SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

MS Nav 2017 CU 10 TO CU23

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Forum

Mahesh1431 asked a question on 11 Feb 2019 9:57 AM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Hi Everyone,

I have a requirement to upgarde my nav server from one cu to another cu. currently we have installed nav2017 cu10 in our server now i would like to upgrade to nav2017 cu23 without uninstalling the cu10. is it possible to upgrade from one cu to another CU ? please help me on this.

Thanks

Mahesh 

Alfredo Zelaya responded on 11 Feb 2019 10:16 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Cumulative Update is basically reinstalling NAV to the newer platform. The only way to accomplish what you mention is to have a separate database on the sql server, a separate Development Client and  a separate Administrative client. You basically replicating the entire footprint. Remember, you're not just upgrading the logic, you're also upgrading the data.

Mahesh1431 responded on 11 Feb 2019 10:47 AM

Thanks for your reply,

please tell me one thing is it possible to upgarde from nav 2016 to nav 2017

Alfredo Zelaya responded on 11 Feb 2019 10:59 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Yes this is very common upgrade. If you are 100 % sure there are no customizations or manual changes to objects, you can upgrade straight away. If you have even the slightest doubt, you MUST run the "Compare " functionality in Windows Shell. Of course you must upload the NAV applets. If you are not doing the work yourself, contact your VAR.

docs.microsoft.com/.../upgrading-to-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2017  

Mahesh1431 responded on 12 Feb 2019 1:08 AM

Ya thanks, so we can't upgrade from once CU to another CU in the same version. just we have to uninstall to reinstall the required CU is it? you are saying?

Urpo Kotipalo responded on 12 Feb 2019 1:53 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can do binary upgrade between CU's within the same version. MS recommends to do the update by uninstalling the old version and then install new one.

However, also normal procedure is to copy new CU objects on top of old client files, and then convert the database to new client by opening it with Developer environment and syncing metadata after starting the new version NAV server service. This is the procedure our company has used for a very long time with no problems whatsoever.

You have to remember that updating from certain CU:s to newer ones may require some special steps, like compiling all objects after update. This may require a special developer license, so I suggest you to test this thoroughly before upgrade.

Please see my blog with update script:

dynamicsuser.net/.../nav-2017-client-upgrade-script

Alfredo Zelaya responded on 12 Feb 2019 7:09 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

By default, the CU is the version/build number. As Urpo mentioned, the recommended sequence of events is to run the upgrade and let NAV remove the old version and upgrade the data. New objects will automatically be tagged with the current version. If you look at the objects in the Developer Client, you will see versions and dates on some files which are very old. This lets you understand that some code has not changed in decades. There are a few ways to handle the situation.  

Urpo Kotipalo responded on 12 Feb 2019 7:33 AM
My Badges

Just to clarify things, my post (and I guess the original question) was about binary upgrade of NAV Client. Business logic upgrade is a whole other piece of beef, and it usually requires an upgrade project where changes made to the customer are moved to later NAV CU version.

My script handles the client upgrade process, but not the object update and merge process.

The original requestor should clarify if he requires Object upgrade or just plain client upgrade.

Mahesh1431 responded on 20 Feb 2019 12:33 AM

Thanks Urpo

Mahesh1431 responded on 20 Feb 2019 12:33 AM

Thanks Alfredo

Alfredo Zelaya responded on 11 Feb 2019 10:16 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Cumulative Update is basically reinstalling NAV to the newer platform. The only way to accomplish what you mention is to have a separate database on the sql server, a separate Development Client and  a separate Administrative client. You basically replicating the entire footprint. Remember, you're not just upgrading the logic, you're also upgrading the data.

Alfredo Zelaya responded on 11 Feb 2019 10:59 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

Yes this is very common upgrade. If you are 100 % sure there are no customizations or manual changes to objects, you can upgrade straight away. If you have even the slightest doubt, you MUST run the "Compare " functionality in Windows Shell. Of course you must upload the NAV applets. If you are not doing the work yourself, contact your VAR.

docs.microsoft.com/.../upgrading-to-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2017  

Urpo Kotipalo responded on 12 Feb 2019 1:53 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

You can do binary upgrade between CU's within the same version. MS recommends to do the update by uninstalling the old version and then install new one.

However, also normal procedure is to copy new CU objects on top of old client files, and then convert the database to new client by opening it with Developer environment and syncing metadata after starting the new version NAV server service. This is the procedure our company has used for a very long time with no problems whatsoever.

You have to remember that updating from certain CU:s to newer ones may require some special steps, like compiling all objects after update. This may require a special developer license, so I suggest you to test this thoroughly before upgrade.

Please see my blog with update script:

dynamicsuser.net/.../nav-2017-client-upgrade-script

Alfredo Zelaya responded on 12 Feb 2019 7:09 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

By default, the CU is the version/build number. As Urpo mentioned, the recommended sequence of events is to run the upgrade and let NAV remove the old version and upgrade the data. New objects will automatically be tagged with the current version. If you look at the objects in the Developer Client, you will see versions and dates on some files which are very old. This lets you understand that some code has not changed in decades. There are a few ways to handle the situation.  

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS