How to see code for a given function in classic client

Question Status

Verified
sjc01234 asked a question on 20 Mar 2017 2:12 PM

For the functions drop down on the lower right of the screen, how can I find the code behind one of the functions?

I am often asked why something didn't work the way the user thought it should. I usually am told (for example) "I went to Functions/Send to Email on the Credit Memos screen"

So, naturally I would like to look at the code to understand the function.  Is there an easy way to find it?

Verified Answer
Rabindra Sah responded on 20 Mar 2017 4:43 PM

Hi Sjc,

You quesion is not very clear. From what i understood, you want to know where you can see the code. Before i answer that, my first question to you is, Do you know the C/AL or any other programming? or have you ever done some development work for Dynamics NAV. 
because, If you are not a Developer then it might not make much sense. 

To view the functions behind any Action button or any activity, you need the authorization to access the development environment of Dynamics NAV first. 

From the RTC side, open the page where you want to spend your curiosity. On the top left side, you can see the relevant help section and find the table and page information. Then from the development environment open the relevant page and open it in design mode. this is the place where you can find what actions are present in that page and where to go. Hope you got the clue... 

warning... It is not recommended to carryout any action in development environment without knowledge of Dynamics NAV development. So it is always better to consult the professionals before you want to do so. 

Suggested Answer
Amol Salvi responded on 20 Mar 2017 9:31 PM

If you would like to see the code running behind action button you need to open the form in design mode and see the code execution .Alternatively you can use code coverage to see how code is executed ,which area of code is touched during execution .

For understanding the program you need to have knowledge of C/AL programming

Suggested Answer
Amol Salvi responded on 20 Mar 2017 9:36 PM

You need to open the form in design mode and go to specific button and see the program written

Or

You can use code coverage to see the execution of program during processing of transaction

Suggested Answer
Maneesha De Silva responded on 21 Mar 2017 8:24 AM

you have to access the development environment to gain your requirement

but on before confirm with your partner how much eligible to access DE from your side

do you having development environment license  

but feel like : feel like you need to gain more knowledge to work through DE , it dosent matter if you test those in test environment ,  but do not on your production server  

Verified Answer
Suresh Kulla responded on 21 Mar 2017 9:27 AM

You need to have proper license before you can see the code and if you have proper permissions and license then you need to open the form in the design mode and select the action use F9 to see the code.

Verified Answer
Dmitry Katson responded on 31 Mar 2017 11:51 AM

You can just turn on debugger mode (msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd354968.aspx) and check what is going on.

Verified Answer
Alexander Ermakov responded on 30 Apr 2017 7:34 AM

Use Debugger to go through the execution of code: msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd338786.aspx

Verified Answer
Rabindra Sah responded on 20 Mar 2017 4:43 PM

Hi Sjc,

You quesion is not very clear. From what i understood, you want to know where you can see the code. Before i answer that, my first question to you is, Do you know the C/AL or any other programming? or have you ever done some development work for Dynamics NAV. 
because, If you are not a Developer then it might not make much sense. 

To view the functions behind any Action button or any activity, you need the authorization to access the development environment of Dynamics NAV first. 

From the RTC side, open the page where you want to spend your curiosity. On the top left side, you can see the relevant help section and find the table and page information. Then from the development environment open the relevant page and open it in design mode. this is the place where you can find what actions are present in that page and where to go. Hope you got the clue... 

warning... It is not recommended to carryout any action in development environment without knowledge of Dynamics NAV development. So it is always better to consult the professionals before you want to do so. 

Verified Answer
Suresh Kulla responded on 21 Mar 2017 9:27 AM

You need to have proper license before you can see the code and if you have proper permissions and license then you need to open the form in the design mode and select the action use F9 to see the code.

Verified Answer
Dmitry Katson responded on 31 Mar 2017 11:51 AM

You can just turn on debugger mode (msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd354968.aspx) and check what is going on.

Verified Answer
Alexander Ermakov responded on 30 Apr 2017 7:34 AM

Use Debugger to go through the execution of code: msdn.microsoft.com/.../dd338786.aspx

Suggested Answer
Amol Salvi responded on 20 Mar 2017 9:31 PM

If you would like to see the code running behind action button you need to open the form in design mode and see the code execution .Alternatively you can use code coverage to see how code is executed ,which area of code is touched during execution .

Suggested Answer
Amol Salvi responded on 20 Mar 2017 9:36 PM

You need to open the form in design mode and go to specific button and see the program written

Or

You can use code coverage to see the execution of program during processing of transaction

Suggested Answer
Maneesha De Silva responded on 21 Mar 2017 8:24 AM

you have to access the development environment to gain your requirement

but on before confirm with your partner how much eligible to access DE from your side

do you having development environment license  

but feel like : feel like you need to gain more knowledge to work through DE , it dosent matter if you test those in test environment ,  but do not on your production server