SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Performance of NAV 2013 client on Server 2016

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Forum

redstar1 asked a question on 11 Oct 2018 9:00 AM

Question Status

Suggested Answer

Hi,

Having some issues with our NAV client freezing up while being used on a new Server 2016 based XenApp platform. Same issues would occasionally have been reported on 2008R2, but not to the same extent. Few possible issues:

Dynamics NAV client version is 7.0.36182.0, which I appreciate is old. There is some reluctance to upgrade due to perceived issues with the NAV server. Is there anything specific I could point to to say "here's a fix"? (appreciate that is a very vague question).

I've been monitoring general server performance and the only thing that jumps out is a constant data stream from the SQL server, to the NAV application server (both unchanged, on 2008R2). It is an almost constant 15-20MB /sec, even all through the night when user access is minimal. Is there any quick way to check what might be running or what queries might be being called?

Thanks for any help/suggestions. I suspect patching/upgrades may help but I'd like to narrow it down before heading that road.

Suggested Answer

NAV 2013 is one of the worst NAV client ever :) I suggest an upgrade to NAV 2013 R2 at least, performances are much better.

Alexander Ermakov responded on 12 Oct 2018 7:44 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

I generally agree with Stefano, if you have any possibility, please upgrade - it would be the best fix.

Anyway, also check what is happening with your server by running few scripts, something like that:

SELECT CAST(100.0 * SUM(signal_wait_time_ms) / SUM(wait_time_ms) AS NUMERIC(20,2)) AS [%signal (cpu) waits], CAST(100.0 * SUM(wait_time_ms - signal_wait_time_ms) / SUM(wait_time_ms) AS NUMERIC(20, 2)) AS [%resource waits] FROM sys.dm_os_wait_stats

to learn if you have rather processing deficit or resource deficit. Drop me message if you'd like to run more scripts to find more weaknesses.

Manish Sharma responded on 12 Oct 2018 7:52 AM
My Badges

Is this happening with the standard database too ?

redstar1 responded on 12 Oct 2018 9:01 AM

Alexander Ermakov

I generally agree with Stefano, if you have any possibility, please upgrade - it would be the best fix.

Anyway, also check what is happening with your server by running few scripts, something like that:

SELECT CAST(100.0 * SUM(signal_wait_time_ms) / SUM(wait_time_ms) AS NUMERIC(20,2)) AS [%signal (cpu) waits], CAST(100.0 * SUM(wait_time_ms - signal_wait_time_ms) / SUM(wait_time_ms) AS NUMERIC(20, 2)) AS [%resource waits] FROM sys.dm_os_wait_stats

to learn if you have rather processing deficit or resource deficit. Drop me message if you'd like to run more scripts to find more weaknesses.

Arranging and upgrade may take a while, it is on the cards. I'd like to 'fix' this issue if I can though.

Running at 90% resource waits according to that script.

Activity monitor suggests Network I/O is the biggest cause of waits, but I'm unsure if that is normally going to be the case.

Suggested Answer

NAV 2013 is one of the worst NAV client ever :) I suggest an upgrade to NAV 2013 R2 at least, performances are much better.

Alexander Ermakov responded on 12 Oct 2018 7:44 AM
My Badges
Suggested Answer

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS