SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Import from Excel

Microsoft Dynamics RMS Forum

andy@invoc asked a question on 7 May 2009 7:45 AM

Question Status

Unanswered

Good Morning,

I'm wondering if there is a way to import data from a spreadsheet into the RMS database using the management tools. I have someone who has been managing their store via Excel, and all sales and inventory data is in spreadsheets.

Best,

Andy

stevemaximus responded on 11 May 2009 5:10 PM

I am looking into purchasing RMS for my small retial shop and also need to know if I can import my current data from Excel

Joey Hambuchen responded on 29 May 2009 8:39 AM

There is an import utility for Quick Sell that works. Search for quick sell import utility. It puts in most of your basic item info. If you are really good with Access you can make your own utility. I was not good at it, but I spent many weeks making one to put in orders. There is no good way without it to put in items. If you are a store that constantly gets new items with every order dont get RMS. I wish I could recommend a better software, but I am stuck with it. There is a web of resellers that catch you at every turn on the web, and it is impossible to get a fair review. If you already bought it, you now belong to Microsoft RMS. It will consume your life. Welcome to the family.

System Solutions responded on 30 May 2009 10:51 AM
My Badges

If you get the QSImport Tool, it is free, you can import Items, Aliases, Customers, and Vendors from Excel  (*.csv) or *txt files.  If you have a major supplier that you want to import items from and then keep them up to date, there are many Microsoft RMS EDI connections available or that can be easily created.  For additional assistance: http://www.syssolutionsllc.com/ and click Contact. 

MGordon responded on 18 Jun 2009 2:57 PM
My Badges

Joey,

Give me a call I have a solution that will create items semi automatically for you. I work with people that have a huge inventory turn over and has a huge change in inventory each month and this is what they use.

Joey Hambuchen responded on 19 Jun 2009 9:43 PM

I have worked with programs like Matix Master. Here is the problem

1) Expensive- and you have to get a support contract and keep paying

2) Cannot intall updates without checking with your 3rd party software company (the contract again)

3) Becomes a huge mess when you try to use matrixes. The only way to edit items is with the ITEMS window and it shows both the individual item and the matix. if you have more than 2 attributes, then you get a bunch of unneeded items that you cannot delete from your matrix.

I am a real user and I made my own program with access that works way better.

I have an apparel and shoe store and i stopped using the matrixes and basicly made the whole store into one matrix

Sub1 - Brand

Sub2 - Style

sub3 - size

To get started just get a copy of access 2007 and learn how to connect to the database with the connection utitlity. Explore the tables and figure out how the work. You can use basic queries to do alot of stuff like put stuff on  sale and make major changes to your inventory. This works because RMS is built on smart technology, they just didnt finish the job

The next step is to make a form and learn some very basic Visual Basic and then you can do what you want. I made up the time real fast.

P.S. They are discontinueing RMS and will be makeing a new software, so dont buy it now. Research hard before you buy.

Mohammed ElQadi responded on 5 Jul 2009 2:51 AM
My Badges

Try using SQL Management Studio to import the excel files as tables, then with simple queries you will got what you want.

Thank you

Mohammed El Qadi

http://www.fact.fm/viewforum.php?f=30

System Solutions responded on 7 Jan 2014 1:11 PM
My Badges

Look at the RMS Data Import Tool, this will do what you are asking:

www.syssolutionsllc.com/.../DataImportTool

JamieO1970 responded on 5 Jul 2018 2:38 PM

"If you already bought it, you now belong to Microsoft RMS. It will consume your life. Welcome to the family"

All your base are belong to us.

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS