By Robin Rulffes

As an SL user, do you ever go to the printer and it’s stacked with batch reports? I do not know how many times I have walked into a client’s office and they have a stack of batch reports on the printer, next to the printer, or sitting on a desk or book shelf. The last place I worked, my AP clerk used the printer as a file cabinet for her batch reports until the pile got high enough, then she threw the entire pile away without looking at them. Until then the rest of the staff all hated thumbing through those reports to try and find their documents.

Few people actually do anything with the batch reports. Why keep killing trees and clogging printers? Well, then simply turn off the automatic batch reporting (in the GL Setup screen, on the Option Tab, uncheck the Automatic Batch Reports). For me, it was a great day to not have to dig through that pile of batch reports to get to the document I just printed. But be aware that Automatic Batch Reports is either on for the entire system or off for the entire system.

But what if you really need a batch report? Suppose you attach the Journal Entry backup to the GL Batch Report and enter them into your Journal Entry Log book. Then the solution is to keep the Automatic printing turned off and have users that may need the reports print them manually. You can find a “Reprint Batch Control Reports” in every module that prints batch reports: the Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger, Payroll, Purchasing, Inventory and Work Orders modules. This is what I implemented at my last job and recommend to my current clients.