SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Is Dynamics SL 2015 using SQL Always On a MS supported SL configuration? Is it possible? Is it a good idea?

Microsoft Dynamics SL Forum

2011SLcustomer asked a question on 10 Aug 2016 3:23 PM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

We are a Dynamics 2015 SL customer with SL running at our primary site. We are investigating the use of SQL Always On (AO) high availability with Dynamics SL system and application databases between our primary sites and a site approximately 100 miles .

1. We cannot find any documentation on setting up or using Dynamics SL with SQL Always On. We do not know if SQL AO is a MS Dynamics SL is a supported configuration. Is SQL AO a MS SL supported configuration?

2. If this is a supported configuration, are there required additional steps, manual changes or processes to make it work. Such as Update Domain table for server name etc. Database maintenance?

3. If I search the Customer Source portal using Dynamics SL as the product to be searched for using the text string - SQL Always On I get no results. If I continue to search in all of Customer Source and Community sections I see Dynamics CRM is the only Dynamics product listed or shows as supported.

4. If a supported configuration, are you aware of any customers doing this?

5. Is another SQL fault tolerance, HA, or disaster recovery solution more appropriate for SL between the 2 sites?

Butch Adams responded on 11 Aug 2016 11:27 AM
My Badges

I can't find any reference to AO being supported either. Just thinking about how SL works, I'm sure there would be data consistency problems soon after you tried it in full production.

For a multi-site implementation, I would suggest a Citrix/MS RDP deployment instead. Then set up a failover database for HA. Once you get it tuned up, it works well like that.

Have you asked your VAR or partner to weigh in on it?

2011SLcustomer responded on 11 Aug 2016 12:18 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Thanks Butch,

I burned one of our Dynamics SL Support Requests and contacted MS Dynamics Support last evening. They were very helpful with the info provided.

In summary, the bottom line from MS in quotes...

"Officially none of the high availability options offered by SQL server are supported with Microsoft Dynamics SL.   This isn’t to say they won’t work, but rather they have not been officially tested and documented as being supported".

" 1) Unfortunately at this time Dynamics SL (all versions) does not support SQL Server High Availability solutions".

"Please note that the Dynamics SL Support team will not assist in setting up and troubleshooting any issues related to a high availability solution. "

We are in need of a 2 site DR solution including DR for SL 2015. So we are doing a proof of concept using Hyper-V Replica. HV Replica should work as a "DR solution" and hopefully be MS supported.   Perhaps SQL HA for SL was overkill, but a at least a DR solution other than restoring backups at the remote site was desired.

I assume SL 2015 servers running as Hyper-V VM are supported (we use SL VMs today). HV Replica will replicate a replica of the SL 2015 VM servers to the remote site in an offline state until they are needed at the remote site. The remote side servers are kept current with the primary side SL servers at user defined intervals of every 30 seconds, or 5 mins, or every 15 mins.    

Gejala Penyakit Jantung responded on 12 Aug 2016 9:30 AM

participate listened. Who knows got new knowledge. :)

Mark E responded on 8 Nov 2018 6:25 AM
My Badges

Can you (or anyone else) tell me if you were able to successfully implement the AO/HA strategy into your DR plans?  Got a site that is interested in using this approach.  Thanks.

2011SLcustomer responded on 12 Nov 2018 6:52 PM
My Badges

No we never did the AO as a HA solution. AO appeared to be operationally too complicated and over kill to have a HA solution when only a DR solution was wanted. So we did a proof of concept Hyper-V Replication solution. This approached replicated 3  Windows 2012 R2 primary site VMs to 3 VM servers at the remote site very 15 mins.  This replicated 2 SL VM server(s): 1 VM for Web Apps access, and one VM for RDP SL thick client access, and 1 HV VM SL SQL database server. This worked and failover testing was easy to do often thru HV Replication without impacting the primary side. I never did follow up to see if HV Replication became a supported MS SL 2015 configuration. This worked for almost a year. It was never tested in a true DR test with real user load. The initial replication could have affected SL SQL performance on a heavily used DB, or on large DB it may take time to initially replicate a larger DB. I think, but never was tested to that extent. After the initial replication, only changes were replicated and were minimal. I would check to see if MS has now certified HV or AO as solutions.

2011SLcustomer responded on 11 Aug 2016 12:18 PM
My Badges
Verified Answer

Thanks Butch,

I burned one of our Dynamics SL Support Requests and contacted MS Dynamics Support last evening. They were very helpful with the info provided.

In summary, the bottom line from MS in quotes...

"Officially none of the high availability options offered by SQL server are supported with Microsoft Dynamics SL.   This isn’t to say they won’t work, but rather they have not been officially tested and documented as being supported".

" 1) Unfortunately at this time Dynamics SL (all versions) does not support SQL Server High Availability solutions".

"Please note that the Dynamics SL Support team will not assist in setting up and troubleshooting any issues related to a high availability solution. "

We are in need of a 2 site DR solution including DR for SL 2015. So we are doing a proof of concept using Hyper-V Replica. HV Replica should work as a "DR solution" and hopefully be MS supported.   Perhaps SQL HA for SL was overkill, but a at least a DR solution other than restoring backups at the remote site was desired.

I assume SL 2015 servers running as Hyper-V VM are supported (we use SL VMs today). HV Replica will replicate a replica of the SL 2015 VM servers to the remote site in an offline state until they are needed at the remote site. The remote side servers are kept current with the primary side SL servers at user defined intervals of every 30 seconds, or 5 mins, or every 15 mins.    

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS