SBX - Search With Button

SBX - Forum Post Title

Crystal Report - error opening report - database vendor code: 208

Microsoft Dynamics SL Forum

Dave Simon asked a question on 26 Nov 2012 9:14 AM
My Badges

Question Status

Verified

We upgraded to SL2011 FP1 from SL7 FP1.  Now when we print/print preview certain crystal reports they come up with an ERROR message:

Crystal Report Windows Forms Viewer - Failed to retrieve data from the database.  Details:  [Database Vendor Code: 208] ...

Any suggestions?  Thank you, Dave

Reply
Dave Simon responded on 26 Nov 2012 9:50 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

All:  1.  I found that when I went to VERIFY DATABASE in this particular crystal report I was getting tables that it didn't like (wanted me to remove the tables and I said No!!).

2.  That led me to this little trick that I found online that fixed my issue.  Thanks Jeff Trotman and Rick Kerns!! :-)

wisdomofsolomon.wordpress.com/.../crystal-reports-tables-not-found-during-verify-database

3.  It shows you how you can use the "Overridden Qualified Table Name" property for the table(s) in the Crystal Report designer to get around the issue.  Alternatively (as mentioned in the link above) you can Update EACH table.

Reply
Howzilla responded on 17 Dec 2018 5:22 PM

I had a similar error and it took me a while to REALLY read the error message: DATABASE VENDOR CODE: ####.  Hmmmmm ... my database is SQL Server and I have an error number. I went to a page that defined the SQL Server error codes and found my code: Syntax error converting datetime from character string. I went to my stored procedure and I had params that were defined as varchar() but used to compare to a date data type. While that did in fact work if I executed the code in a query window something happens when the resultset is returned to Crystal reports. I simply change the params to datetime and my report worked. What really threw me off was the report would PREVIEW the data but when viewed through the viewer it failed so I spent hours scouring the reports. The sad thing is I made this very same mistake a couple of years ago and forgot the lesson. So the moral is it might not be the report that has the problem. Go to >> www.sql-server-helper.com/.../msg-1-500.aspx - 208 = Invalid object name '%.*ls'. Hmmmm .. not as helpful as mine but there you go.

Reply
Dave Simon responded on 26 Nov 2012 9:50 AM
My Badges
Verified Answer

All:  1.  I found that when I went to VERIFY DATABASE in this particular crystal report I was getting tables that it didn't like (wanted me to remove the tables and I said No!!).

2.  That led me to this little trick that I found online that fixed my issue.  Thanks Jeff Trotman and Rick Kerns!! :-)

wisdomofsolomon.wordpress.com/.../crystal-reports-tables-not-found-during-verify-database

3.  It shows you how you can use the "Overridden Qualified Table Name" property for the table(s) in the Crystal Report designer to get around the issue.  Alternatively (as mentioned in the link above) you can Update EACH table.

Reply

SBX - Two Col Forum

SBX - Migrated JS