Skip to main content

Notifications

Microsoft Dynamics CRM forum
Suggested answer

Security Roles and Dynamics 365 Sales/Service licenses

Posted on by
Hi,

I am working on a Dynamics 365 on-premises to Online migration project (as-is). There are approximately 25 user security roles configured in the current system. We do not want to make changes to the current security roles since it is an as-is migration project.

Also, we finalized (for 100 users) which user should have a D365 Sales and D365 Services license.

Some of the user security roles will have privileges to Sales and Service entities. However, we have an understanding that the D365 license will restrict the privileges to entities, and no need to do additional steps/changes to the User Security Role.

Pls confirm this is the best approach for an as-is migration project.

Regards,
Meena
  • Suggested answer
    CU09051849-0 Profile Picture
    CU09051849-0 on at
    Hi,

Firstly, I want to clarify that the D365 license will not restrict access to the entities (tables). Security role configuration plays a key role.

I suggest you analyze the security role and adjust the privileges to Sales and Service users.

This is the recommended approach we follow in one of our programs.

Thanks, Suresh
  • Suggested answer
    Leah Ju Profile Picture
    Leah Ju Microsoft Employee on at
    Hi Meena,
    ....D365 license will restrict the privileges to entities...
    Yes, There are some restricted tables(entities) in Dataverse.
    A smaller set of tables tied to Dynamics 365 apps (Dynamics 365 Sales, Customer Service, Field Service, Marketing, or Project Service Automation) require canvas and model-driven app users to have a license for the corresponding Dynamics 365 app if they need to create, update, or delete rows within the tables.
    If an app or flow only reads information from a table, a Dynamics 365 app license is not required and an appropriate Power Apps or Power Automate license is all that's needed.

Here is the license Guides for Dynamics 365 go.microsoft.com/.../
    You can look at the Sales/Customer Service Use Rights Overview table to get more details.

I hope you can mark my answer verified if it answer your question! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
    Regards,
    Leah

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Upcoming TechTalk: Copilot Capabilities…

Review the Copilot features that are currently available in Dynamics 365 Finance…

Demystifying Copilot: Service Edition with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar answers more questions about Copilot for Service...

Dynamics 365 Business Central vs Finance and SCM

Take a look at the key differences between Business Central and…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,377 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,308 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans