Skip to main content
Power Platform integration forum
Unanswered

Power Query OData with Business Central - Select columns yields errors in unselected columns

editSubscribe (0) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 36
Hello,

I'm using a BC OData URL as a source in a power query in Excel. The source works fine and I can filter the rows in the source itself which speeds up the query. However, I can't get it to select specific columns. When I choose specific columns to bring in, instead of only bringing those in, it brings all columns in and only populates the ones I selected (and fills the other columns with /error/). Is there a way to have the OData exclude these unneeded columns entirely? It doesn't seems to be any faster the way I have it because it still brings in all the columns, it just doesn't populate data for them.

For example, I only want to bring in the Posting Date and the GL Account Number:

Is there a better way to weed out the unneeded columns before they're loaded so the query can update faster?

Thanks,

Jared
Attachments
  • Jared M Profile Picture
    Jared M 36 on at
    Power Query OData with Business Central - Select columns yields errors in unselected columns
    Sorry, the picture didn't load:

It's not a specific error, what's happening is the columns I've not selected are just coming through with errors in every row. If it still doesn't load, it's basically the same as the image in this post: https://forum.enterprisedna.co/t/power-query-odata-connection-with-select/22639

The workaround suggested in that post doesn't help because it weeds out the columns after the data is loaded, so it doesn't help speed up the OData refresh.

I drilled into one of the errors (document type for example) and this is what it said:

DataFormat.Error: We expected a property 'Document_Type', but the OData service omitted it from the response data. This can occur for a number of reasons and does not necessarily imply that the data does not exist or is of a default value.
    Details:
        Property=Document_Type

But again, the issue isn't the specific error, it's the fact that columns I did not select are still showing up (just filled with errors)

Jared
  • Judy Profile Picture
    Judy Microsoft Employee on at
    Hi, please specify what the error are you experiencing.

Helpful resources

Quick Links

New Blog Features Released!

Check out the new community blog features for viewers and authors…

Demystifying Copilot with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar explains how Copilot for Service is meant to function separately...

Business Process Guidance Badges and New…

The Microsoft Success by Design is the framework for implementing Dynamics 365…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,281 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,025 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans