how to increase field length of movement journal description

This question is answered

Hi,

Please advise how can we increase the field length of Description field up to 200 characters available in Movement Journal in Inventory module in AX 2009.  The field is InventJournalTable_DescriptionInventJournalTable(InventJournalTable).Description

We will appreciate your immediate response.

Muhammad Ali Awan

Verified Answer
  • I have change the EDT description and its now 100 character and journal description is also 100 char but on the form it shows only 60 char and does not take further input.

Please advise

All Replies
  • Dear Ali Awan,

For each field in Dynamics AX we have a extended data type also. You can open the dynamics Development workspace using Ctrl+Shift+W keys and open the AOT. In AOT go to data dictionary and select Extended Data type and search JournalDescription or Description and change the string size to 200. If the description is changed all the description field throughout the AX will be changed to 200. For journal only change JournalDescription. Hope it will solve your issue.

Omer Awan

Learn from birth till death

• Dear Omer,

Thnak you for your prompt response. we have already check that while the string size field in uneditable. please advise.

• Dear Ali,

Actually i told you 2 EDTs the JournalDescription is uneditable as it is further extended from Description, you can edit the description EDT or create a new EDT named InventoryMovementJournalDescription and link to your filed of interest.

Regards,

Omer Awan

• if i  increase the length of description then what will happen any issue?

• No issue will occur. As this is used to change the field length if required. May be it increase the size of the DB.

• Dear Omer,

Jazakallah for you kind help.

can we revert back if we require.

• Dear Ali,

Yes you can revert back but keeping in mind the data will be truncated if it is lower than actual value

Omer awan

• I have change the EDT description and its now 100 character and journal description is also 100 char but on the form it shows only 60 char and does not take further input.

Please advise

• Dear Ali,

Have you synchronized the database after you changed it. Automatically a dialog for synchronize will appears. It will update all the references.

Omer Awan

• yes it automatically synced. i restarted the AX client and it worked.

Thanks a lot for your help. please keep in touch my email is aliawan@alidc.com.pk

• So the EDT change worked  for you need to be synchronized to make effects.