Who is using TFS with AX?

This question is answered

I'm curious and I wish I could do a proper poll but... Who is using TFS with AX?

Please briefly comment if you are just doing source control, or also work items, branching, builds, etc. Also include your version of AX please (2009 or 2012).

Verified Answer
  • I don't have a local TFS to work with...but I am using TFS on cloud (http://tfs.visualstudio.com/).

AX Version: 2012 R2

Usage: Source control, build (using labels)

My blog | PBC

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• We are using TFS including source control, work items and builds. In future we will also do branching...

Our current AX version is 2012 R2

• I used TFS on my last project. We used most of it's features including work items, source control and also for change management (can't remember the exact name of the feature). We were using AX 2012.

It's a good tracking software when it comes to assigning tasks to specific people (we had about 30 people directly involved in the project who were using AX 2012 R2 and hence TFS). It could've used a little bit of cleaner UI though.

• We are using AX 2012 (CU3) with TFS. We have yet to move over to full TFS builds (we have had many problems with attempting to use your build process on your blog), and currently use highly modified Powershell build scripts to produce models.

We hope to very soon move over to TFS builds, once we resolve our issues.

Edit: Thought I should note my company is an AX Customer, and do almost all AX work in-house.

• We are an ISV and we use it.

Source control/Branching etc.

Current version is AX2012R2 but we do have builds starting with AX 2012CU1.

We don't do frequent builds like you do. Our release cycle is monthly and we do full builds the last week of the month.

Munib Ahmed | DynamicsNAVAX 

• We are using AX 2012 with TFS and we are using its work items and branching feature too.

All Replies
  • I don't have a local TFS to work with...but I am using TFS on cloud (http://tfs.visualstudio.com/).

AX Version: 2012 R2

Usage: Source control, build (using labels)

My blog | PBC

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• We are using TFS including source control, work items and builds. In future we will also do branching...

Our current AX version is 2012 R2

• I used TFS on my last project. We used most of it's features including work items, source control and also for change management (can't remember the exact name of the feature). We were using AX 2012.

It's a good tracking software when it comes to assigning tasks to specific people (we had about 30 people directly involved in the project who were using AX 2012 R2 and hence TFS). It could've used a little bit of cleaner UI though.

• We are using AX 2012 (CU3) with TFS. We have yet to move over to full TFS builds (we have had many problems with attempting to use your build process on your blog), and currently use highly modified Powershell build scripts to produce models.

We hope to very soon move over to TFS builds, once we resolve our issues.

Edit: Thought I should note my company is an AX Customer, and do almost all AX work in-house.

• Hi Kyle,

I'd love to know what kind of issues you've had with my build scripts. They haven't been updated in a while but the version out there is what we are using here internally just fine.

• All in all at least some people are using it, but not exactly an overwhelming response.

• We are an ISV and we use it.

Source control/Branching etc.

Current version is AX2012R2 but we do have builds starting with AX 2012CU1.

We don't do frequent builds like you do. Our release cycle is monthly and we do full builds the last week of the month.

Munib Ahmed | DynamicsNAVAX 

• We are using AX 2012 with TFS and we are using its work items and branching feature too.

• We are in the process of setting up TFS2010 with AX2012-R2 for source control, branching and builds.

• In the process of trying to see how to use Axapta v4 to populate fields in TFS 2010. Looking for information on how to do this.