Question Status

Verified
Joris de Gruyter asked a question on 19 Mar 2013 8:32 PM

I'm curious and I wish I could do a proper poll but... Who is using TFS with AX?

Please briefly comment if you are just doing source control, or also work items, branching, builds, etc. Also include your version of AX please (2009 or 2012).

Verified Answer
Dominic Lee responded on 19 Mar 2013 10:32 PM

I don't have a local TFS to work with...but I am using TFS on cloud (http://tfs.visualstudio.com/).

AX Version: 2012 R2

Usage: Source control, build (using labels)

kind regards,

Dominic Lee

My blog | PBC

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Paul Heisterkamp responded on 20 Mar 2013 12:21 AM

We are using TFS including source control, work items and builds. In future we will also do branching...

Our current AX version is 2012 R2

Verified Answer
Kartik Kurup responded on 20 Mar 2013 8:58 AM

I used TFS on my last project. We used most of it's features including work items, source control and also for change management (can't remember the exact name of the feature). We were using AX 2012.

It's a good tracking software when it comes to assigning tasks to specific people (we had about 30 people directly involved in the project who were using AX 2012 R2 and hence TFS). It could've used a little bit of cleaner UI though.

Verified Answer
Kyle Wascher responded on 20 Mar 2013 11:19 AM

We are using AX 2012 (CU3) with TFS. We have yet to move over to full TFS builds (we have had many problems with attempting to use your build process on your blog), and currently use highly modified Powershell build scripts to produce models.

We hope to very soon move over to TFS builds, once we resolve our issues.

Edit: Thought I should note my company is an AX Customer, and do almost all AX work in-house.

Verified Answer
Munib Ahmed responded on 24 Mar 2013 6:12 PM

We are an ISV and we use it.

Source control/Branching etc.

Current version is AX2012R2 but we do have builds starting with AX 2012CU1.

We don't do frequent builds like you do. Our release cycle is monthly and we do full builds the last week of the month.

Munib Ahmed | DynamicsNAVAX 

Verified Answer
Naeem Ansari responded on 25 Mar 2013 7:55 AM

We are using AX 2012 with TFS and we are using its work items and branching feature too.

Suggested Answer
Arun Garg responded on 27 Aug 2014 1:06 AM

We are using AX 2012 R3 with TFS including source control, work items and we are using its  branching feature .

It's a good software when it comes to assigning tasks to specific people (we had about 50 people directly involved in the project who were using AX 2012 R3 ).

Verified Answer
Dominic Lee responded on 19 Mar 2013 10:32 PM

I don't have a local TFS to work with...but I am using TFS on cloud (http://tfs.visualstudio.com/).

Usage: Source control, build (using labels)

kind regards,

Dominic Lee

My blog | PBC

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Paul Heisterkamp responded on 20 Mar 2013 12:21 AM

We are using TFS including source control, work items and builds. In future we will also do branching...

Our current AX version is 2012 R2

Verified Answer
Kartik Kurup responded on 20 Mar 2013 8:58 AM

I used TFS on my last project. We used most of it's features including work items, source control and also for change management (can't remember the exact name of the feature). We were using AX 2012.

It's a good tracking software when it comes to assigning tasks to specific people (we had about 30 people directly involved in the project who were using AX 2012 R2 and hence TFS). It could've used a little bit of cleaner UI though.

Verified Answer
Kyle Wascher responded on 20 Mar 2013 11:19 AM

We are using AX 2012 (CU3) with TFS. We have yet to move over to full TFS builds (we have had many problems with attempting to use your build process on your blog), and currently use highly modified Powershell build scripts to produce models.

We hope to very soon move over to TFS builds, once we resolve our issues.

Edit: Thought I should note my company is an AX Customer, and do almost all AX work in-house.

Joris de Gruyter responded on 21 Mar 2013 2:16 PM

Hi Kyle,

I'd love to know what kind of issues you've had with my build scripts. They haven't been updated in a while but the version out there is what we are using here internally just fine.

Joris de Gruyter responded on 21 Mar 2013 2:16 PM

All in all at least some people are using it, but not exactly an overwhelming response.

Verified Answer
Munib Ahmed responded on 24 Mar 2013 6:12 PM

We are an ISV and we use it.

Source control/Branching etc.

Current version is AX2012R2 but we do have builds starting with AX 2012CU1.

We don't do frequent builds like you do. Our release cycle is monthly and we do full builds the last week of the month.

Munib Ahmed | DynamicsNAVAX 

Verified Answer
Naeem Ansari responded on 25 Mar 2013 7:55 AM

We are using AX 2012 with TFS and we are using its work items and branching feature too.

Roger Anderson responded on 25 Mar 2013 9:01 AM

We are in the process of setting up TFS2010 with AX2012-R2 for source control, branching and builds.

BossHogg20 responded on 6 Sep 2013 7:30 AM

In the process of trying to see how to use Axapta v4 to populate fields in TFS 2010. Looking for information on how to do this.

Shashi Sadasivan responded on 26 Aug 2014 6:21 PM

Slightly late here.

But With Ax2009 we have some solutions working on TFS, with branching (Custom mod to handle that)

Thomas Sicard responded on 26 Aug 2014 6:32 PM

Hello Joris,

We are using TFS for source control, work items, branching and builds.

50 people are involved in the project (including 25 developers)

kind regards

Suggested Answer
Arun Garg responded on 27 Aug 2014 1:06 AM

We are using AX 2012 R3 with TFS including source control, work items and we are using its  branching feature .

It's a good software when it comes to assigning tasks to specific people (we had about 50 people directly involved in the project who were using AX 2012 R3 ).