Question Status

Verified
Witold Adamiak asked a question on 9 May 2013 10:53 AM

Hello :)

I have unziped and started AX2012 R2 VM under hyper-v (Win 8 Pro) importing it. (about 6 GB of RAM, 4 processors) After first run I have noticed that AOS is starting(even its status has been set as 'Manual') and is 'starting' (I refreshed status many times) more than 24 hours.. What shall I do or what I have omitted starting this machuine first time ?

Gratefull for any suggestions..

Witold

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 9 May 2013 11:53 AM

Hi Witold,

I managed to run this hyper-v on my laptop. It has 8 cores and 8gb physically.

I allocated 6gb memory and 6 cores. So I left 2 cores and 2gb memory for the operating system (Win8 pro as well).

For performance it is also recommended to have the virtial machime file itself on a separate hard drive or ssd. Make also sure your drive is not fragmented.

In this case I would shut down the machine and try to unpack again. I had once a similar issue and after this action the machine was quicker.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Georgi Meyer responded on 9 May 2013 3:02 PM

Hi,

For optimized performance we recommend the VM to be deployed on a system that you can allocate 12 GB of RAM to the VM. There is a tool installed on the VM that controls the startup of the services. If you go to the start menu and search for VM Profile tool you should be able to start the services from there and receive status. I have heard that the VM will run with 6-8 GB of RAM however the performance may not be what is expected.

Did you restart the VM after noticing the AOS service not starting?

Thanks,

Georgi

Verified Answer
Dick Wenning responded on 10 May 2013 1:52 AM

it is DNS issue, I guess your Hyper V has not internet connection, you will see plenty of DNS time out.

also starting the hyper V first time will install additional drivers to make it run on your hardware.

see also www.agermark.com/.../run-microsoft-dynamics-ax-2012-hyper-v.html

Kind regards, 

Kaya Solutions

Dick Wenning

+31 6 147 989 53 

Landjuweel 5

3905 PE - Veenendaal

OTHER CONTACT INFORMATION

Verified Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 9 May 2013 11:53 AM

Hi Witold,

I managed to run this hyper-v on my laptop. It has 8 cores and 8gb physically.

I allocated 6gb memory and 6 cores. So I left 2 cores and 2gb memory for the operating system (Win8 pro as well).

For performance it is also recommended to have the virtial machime file itself on a separate hard drive or ssd. Make also sure your drive is not fragmented.

In this case I would shut down the machine and try to unpack again. I had once a similar issue and after this action the machine was quicker.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Georgi Meyer responded on 9 May 2013 3:02 PM

Hi,

For optimized performance we recommend the VM to be deployed on a system that you can allocate 12 GB of RAM to the VM. There is a tool installed on the VM that controls the startup of the services. If you go to the start menu and search for VM Profile tool you should be able to start the services from there and receive status. I have heard that the VM will run with 6-8 GB of RAM however the performance may not be what is expected.

Did you restart the VM after noticing the AOS service not starting?

Thanks,

Georgi

Verified Answer
Dick Wenning responded on 10 May 2013 1:52 AM

it is DNS issue, I guess your Hyper V has not internet connection, you will see plenty of DNS time out.

also starting the hyper V first time will install additional drivers to make it run on your hardware.

see also www.agermark.com/.../run-microsoft-dynamics-ax-2012-hyper-v.html

Kind regards, 

Kaya Solutions

Dick Wenning

+31 6 147 989 53 

Landjuweel 5

3905 PE - Veenendaal

Witold Adamiak responded on 14 May 2013 6:07 AM

Thanks a lot for any suggestions... but it stil does not work :( I have limited RAM for SQL, I have corrected time for starting services, one thing I did not check is DNS but the VM has an Internet connection... I can't any idea what shall I do - perhaps my notebook is to weak...

Regards

Witold

Dick Wenning responded on 14 May 2013 7:16 AM

store the hyperV on an external disk, local disk of laptops are slow unless it is solid state.

also minimal 8 Gb memory on your laptop is needed

Kind regards, 

Kaya Solutions

Dick Wenning

+31 6 147 989 53 

Landjuweel 5

3905 PE - Veenendaal

Georgi Meyer responded on 14 May 2013 8:19 AM

Can you setup an internal network adapter on the VM. Essentially you will have two network adapters. On the internal network adapter configure it to use the following IPs.

To set the IP up correctly follow these instructions:

1.       After the virtual machine starts log in and open the Network and Sharing console

2.       Go to Change adapter settings

3.       Open a command prompt and enter ipconfig to view which IP is the internal network adapter. It is usually the one starting with a 169 address.

4.       Locate the NIC in the adapter’s page and enter the IPs as listed below. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and DNS is 10.20.12.101.

AX2012R2A

5.       Restart the virtual machine

Witold Adamiak responded on 15 May 2013 12:05 AM

Thanks,

I'll try to transfer VM to separate USB disk ...

Witold Adamiak

Witold Adamiak responded on 15 May 2013 12:07 AM

I have done set up exactly the same way :) now I'll try to transe\fer VM to separate disc

Regards

Witold Adamiak

Bill Curtis responded on 13 Jun 2013 3:22 PM

I don't understand why you take this approach rather than simply setting those IPs up in the hosts file and leave the site bindings in IIS to any available.  Doing so would mitigate partners having to mess around with that.  Is there a down side that I'm missing?