Hardware configuration for Laptop

This question has suggested answer(s)

Dear All

I need suggestion regarding Laptop configuration and model that will smoothly run Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012R2 VM on Hyper-V. Would appreciate if any one could suggest specific model from HP and DELL.

Regards

Akhwand Usman

All Replies
  • Hi Akhwnad,

When you want to run AX2012 on a laptop, you almost need a server configuration...

Take a look at the next thread and you can have an idea. Please note that 16GB internal memory or higher is recommended.

community.dynamics.com/.../106057.aspx

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

• I've got it running on a Dell Latitude E6510 with 8GB RAM (6 allocated for VM) but it's good for testing/study only.

If you want something demo capable, you need min. 16GB and a SSD.

Most of the sluggishness is caused by Sharepoint Server which eats memory like candy.

• Ok. RAM should be 16GB. What about processors will i3 or i5 create any performance issue? And will HD with 7200rpm ok for it?

Regards,

Akhwand

• I'm running i7 with a 7200rpm HD on a 64-bit system and as I said, you can run it, but it's slow.

Whether you'll notice a decreased performance using i3 or i5 I'm not sure.

• Here's my 2cents:

For CPU, look at the clock speed and caches. I'd bet a 3rd generation i5 with decent clock speed would probably be good enough. (But do consider getting the best one your budget allows. =])

Also, I recommend go with a SSD for the performance gain over HDD. If you are using it a lot, it'll be well worth the investment.

My blog | PBC

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• I just install and configured AX 2012 (Database, AOS and client only) on a laptop and it’s a bit slow:-

My laptop configuration:- i7, 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD but if I can have 16GB system I will defiantly go for it.

hope it helps

thank you

• Got these two options from vendor:

1- Dell Inspiron 5521 Core i7 3537U-2.0GHZ 16GB (8GB*2) RAM 1TB HDD

2- HP ENVY M6 1201TX Core i7 3632QM-2.2GHZ 16GB (8GB*2) RAM 1TB

any idea which would be better.

Regards,

Akhwand Usman

• Inspiron? Get a latitude! We are getting latitude 6430 with 16GB memory and an SSD disk. If you put Windows 8 on it you can run Hyper-V.