Tracking Number Field Continuity in A/P, A/R, and GL in various Legal Entities

This question is answered

Hi,

We are importing FTI with a set tracking number and making payments toward these FTI through A/P.  We want the same tracking number to be available in the G/L too.  How can we insure  the tracking number is available in all modules for reconciliation?   I thought of a financial dimension, but since we do thousands of these every day, that seemed impractical.  Is there common field that is available to all modules and legal entities?

Thanks in advance - Have a great 4th of July Holiday!

Verified Answer
  • Hi Frank,

There is one field called "Reason comment" which is available for input on free text invoices, ledger journals and some other places. This field is tranferred to the ledger transactions.

The information is then available. Depening on your requirements further you have to include this field on some forms and/or reports.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

All Replies
  • What is FTI?

I assume you are not referring to  "Farnesyltransferase inhibitor" or to "Federation of Thai Industries"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTI

Zvika Rimalt * Dynamics AX Business Analyst/Functional Consultant * Vancouver, BC, Canada

• Sorry about that.  FTI are Free Text Invoices as they relate to the A/P module of Dynamics AX 2012 R2.  I forget there are other systems discussed on these forums.

• I am afraid I still do not follow.

Free Text Invoices exist in the AR module (not the AP). How do you pay AR invoices from the AP module?

Zvika Rimalt * Dynamics AX Business Analyst/Functional Consultant * Vancouver, BC, Canada

• Sorry about the confusion.  I'll try to clarify.  We process many FTI for a particular customer and a few Credit Balance FTI too for the same customer.  So we usually wind up owning the customer every week.  And to make matteres more complicated we process these FTI for another legal entity.  Thus we need to pass along this "Tracking Number" so they know what to reimburse us for.  The other Legal Entiey processes Credit Card payments for these same "Tracking Number" items and they also need to ensure they use the "tracking number" in their credit card payments".  We need to ensure that the final balance of these "tracking numbers" between all companies ends up as "balanced".  So that is why I was looking for a field (and since we do thousands of these a day I ruled out a dimension) to track the "tracking number" between various modules (A/R, A/P and GL)?  

Thanks for helping me clarify the issue and your interest in helping!  Your suggestions are really appreciated.

• Hi Frank,

There is one field called "Reason comment" which is available for input on free text invoices, ledger journals and some other places. This field is tranferred to the ledger transactions.

The information is then available. Depening on your requirements further you have to include this field on some forms and/or reports.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

• Thank you very much Andre.  It looks like this might work.  It seems this might be a common request, but I've not had anyone else answer it.  I do welcome any other suggestions.  

• Hi Andre,

I read financial dimension can be used to track ticket numbers.  I'm I crazy for wanting to use a dimension to track over a million ticket numbers each year?  This would ensure the ticket number is referenced in all revenue and expense transactions.  Or is the Remarks Comment a better choice?

Thanks,

Frank

• Hi Frank,

The dimensions are in my view not suitable for handling over a million values each year. Once used, you cannot delete them anymore, so this will grow rapidly and then you miss any overview. In this case I think I would go for the comments if it should be standard functionality.

kind regards,