Question Status

Suggested Answer
lally asked a question on 26 Jul 2013 3:02 AM

Hi All ,

I am getting confuse about the vendor / customer master import in Axapta 2012 though Excel addin Vs DIE frame work .

if we want to the customer / vendor in AX 2012 , if it is through Excel Addin  then you need to import atleast 3- 4 tables for customer or vendor  as per the below link.

ax2012exceldataimport.blogspot.in/.../dynamics-ax-2012-customers-import-using.html

But if you try to import the customer / vendor through the Data Import/ Export framework 2012 , it is only one table is required , need not import in different tables as per the below link.

axnmaia.wordpress.com/.../data-importexport-framework-walkthrough-importing-data

Could any one tell me which is correct way ?

I am really confuse about that how many tables we need to consider ?

Suggested Answer
FH-Inway responded on 26 Jul 2013 3:21 AM

It depends on the data you want to import. I would suggest you do a test import with the data import export framework and check if the customers created fulfill your requirements. If not and you need to import more data you can try the Excel Addin approach or you could extend the data import export customer entity or create a new one.

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 26 Jul 2013 4:17 AM

Hi Lally,

When using DIEF you import into a staging table. When processing the staging to target, the DIEF logic will handle the required tables for you. So this is more simple than using the Excel add in.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
FH-Inway responded on 26 Jul 2013 3:21 AM

It depends on the data you want to import. I would suggest you do a test import with the data import export framework and check if the customers created fulfill your requirements. If not and you need to import more data you can try the Excel Addin approach or you could extend the data import export customer entity or create a new one.

lally responded on 26 Jul 2013 3:40 AM

Hi FH - INWAY,

You have mentioned that  " IT depends on the data you want to import " . I am importing very simple information  Like customer No , address , currency code , site , warehouse ,country code, Customer group.

Even in the both above links data is common , but excel add in required 5 tables but DIEF required only one table for customer import.

Can you guide me the best way ?

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 26 Jul 2013 4:17 AM

Hi Lally,

When using DIEF you import into a staging table. When processing the staging to target, the DIEF logic will handle the required tables for you. So this is more simple than using the Excel add in.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

lally responded on 27 Jul 2013 12:19 AM

Hi ANDRE ,

I am grateful to you , because you are really helping me indirectly through this forum to all my questions.

You mean to say that using DIEF , i need not consider the different tables for Customer import , just if i import the data into Cust table , automatically it will import into all related tables . Am i rihght ?

Does it applicable to all masters especially Item maset ?

Please correct me .

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 27 Jul 2013 12:30 AM

Hi Lally,

If you use the customer entity in DIEF it will first import the customer into a staging table. This table contains the neccesary fields for several tables. Copy from staging to target will insert into the CustTable, DirPartyTable and more.

So your understanding was almost correct. First a staging table then the final tables.

This is applicable for most entities delivered OOTB with DIEF. So also for e.g vendors and products.

kind regards,

lally responded on 27 Jul 2013 4:24 AM

Thanks Andre for your confirmation  :)

So when it comes to Item also , that i need to consider Invent table only and need not to consider other tables . Am i right ?

For example I am importing the Item master of 50 records , in that two items has the two new Item group , does it automatically upate in the Item group table or first i need to import in Item group then import Invent table .

Please advice .

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 28 Jul 2013 2:48 PM

Hi Lally,

In most cases, DIEF will not fill setup or group tables from an master entity. In this case you should import the item group seperately or type them manual.

kind regards,