Question Status

Suggested Answer
lally asked a question on 2 Aug 2013 2:12 AM

Hi All ,

Budget Parameters - Time-period for budget balances field has 3 options .

Fiscal period

Fiscal year

Fiscal year to date

I would like to know what is the differences between the above options.

Thanks and Regards

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 3 Aug 2013 2:47 PM

Hi Lally,

This is a parameter for  selecting a different time period for budget balances in case of warnings.

Fiscal period: only take budget balances per fiscal period. If you have budget left from last period this is not taken into account.

Fiscal year: The total amount budget of the complete year is allowed before warnings. So in the first month you can spent the complete budget of one year.

Fiscal year to date: If you enter a transaction in period 5 the complete budget for period 1 till period 5 is the budget at that time.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 3 Aug 2013 2:47 PM

Hi Lally,

This is a parameter for  selecting a different time period for budget balances in case of warnings.

Fiscal period: only take budget balances per fiscal period. If you have budget left from last period this is not taken into account.

Fiscal year: The total amount budget of the complete year is allowed before warnings. So in the first month you can spent the complete budget of one year.

Fiscal year to date: If you enter a transaction in period 5 the complete budget for period 1 till period 5 is the budget at that time.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

lally responded on 4 Aug 2013 12:18 AM

Hi Andre,

Would you  mind can you explain the above example with some values ?

Thanks in advance.

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 6 Aug 2013 2:09 PM

Hi Lally,

Imaging you have a budget for Promotions of $ 6000 for year 2013, divided into $ 500 per month.

So your budget entries are:

Jan 2013: $ 500

Feb 2013: $ 500

Mar 2013: $ 500

Etc.

You have posted an invoice with the amount $ 400 in January for Promotions.

It is now February. You want to create a new transaction (amount $ 550). The options will do the next:

Fiscal period: Your budget space is not enough. It is only $ 500

Fiscal year: The remaining budget is now $ 6000-$ 400 = $ 5600. So enough budget to proceed.

Fiscal year to date: The remaining budget is: (2 * $ 500) - $ 400 = $ 600.

Does this sample makes sense to you?

kind regards,

lally responded on 7 Aug 2013 12:32 AM

Hi Andre ,

Excellent example , i had understand the concept .

I have one more question , assume that i have selected any one option , where does it will show the results or effect ( i mean in which form in Ax 2012 ) ?