Question Status

Suggested Answer
lally asked a question on 2 Aug 2013 2:12 AM

Hi All ,

Budget Parameters - Time-period for budget balances field has 3 options .

Fiscal period

Fiscal year

Fiscal year to date

I would like to know what is the differences between the above options.

Thanks and Regards

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 3 Aug 2013 2:47 PM

Hi Lally,

This is a parameter for  selecting a different time period for budget balances in case of warnings.

Fiscal period: only take budget balances per fiscal period. If you have budget left from last period this is not taken into account.

Fiscal year: The total amount budget of the complete year is allowed before warnings. So in the first month you can spent the complete budget of one year.

Fiscal year to date: If you enter a transaction in period 5 the complete budget for period 1 till period 5 is the budget at that time.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

lally responded on 4 Aug 2013 12:18 AM

Hi Andre,

Would you  mind can you explain the above example with some values ?

Thanks in advance.

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 6 Aug 2013 2:09 PM

Hi Lally,

Imaging you have a budget for Promotions of $ 6000 for year 2013, divided into $ 500 per month.

So your budget entries are:

Jan 2013: $ 500

Feb 2013: $ 500

Mar 2013: $ 500

Etc.

You have posted an invoice with the amount $ 400 in January for Promotions.

It is now February. You want to create a new transaction (amount $ 550). The options will do the next:

Fiscal period: Your budget space is not enough. It is only $ 500

Fiscal year: The remaining budget is now $ 6000-$ 400 = $ 5600. So enough budget to proceed.

Fiscal year to date: The remaining budget is: (2 * $ 500) - $ 400 = $ 600.

Does this sample makes sense to you?

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

lally responded on 7 Aug 2013 12:32 AM

Hi Andre ,

Excellent example , i had understand the concept .

I have one more question , assume that i have selected any one option , where does it will show the results or effect ( i mean in which form in Ax 2012 ) ?

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 3 Aug 2013 2:47 PM

Hi Lally,

This is a parameter for  selecting a different time period for budget balances in case of warnings.

Fiscal period: only take budget balances per fiscal period. If you have budget left from last period this is not taken into account.

Fiscal year: The total amount budget of the complete year is allowed before warnings. So in the first month you can spent the complete budget of one year.

Fiscal year to date: If you enter a transaction in period 5 the complete budget for period 1 till period 5 is the budget at that time.

kind regards,