Question Status

Suggested Answer
lally asked a question on 28 Aug 2013 7:32 AM

Hi All ,

Generally most of organizations will follow the RFQ creation process as mentioned below.

RFQ will be created for new materials or against the approved purchase requistions( PR's should be approved by concern department head).

But when it comes AX RFQ process is against to organizations process.

RFQ can be created  from a purchase requisition only when  the status of the purchase requisition is pending approval  and  You cannot perform any actions on the purchase requisition,  such as completing, rejecting, or approving it, while the RFQ is in progress.

Could any body noticed why AX is doing in a different manner ?

Thanks in advance.

lally responded on 29 Aug 2013 3:25 AM

Any updates ?

Kaushik Ramakrishna responded on 29 Aug 2013 10:27 AM

Lally,

I do not see anything wrong in what AX is doing. Maybe your business process demands different.

A requisition is raised from stores->The purchase manager/agent approves it based on stock,qty and any open PO's-> The purchasing officer than sends out RFQ's to vendor for thebest quotes-> The Purchase manager reviews the quote for pricing and quality and approves the best vendor-> The whole requisition is reviewed again for total amount and also compared with budget if required(tis is done by finance or purchase manager)->the PO is created by purchase agent/officer.

lally responded on 29 Aug 2013 10:37 PM

Kaushik ,

You mentioned " The purchase manager/agent approves it based on stock,qty and any open PO's

That is what i am also saying , RFQ will be created after approved only . But in AX You can see the “Request for Quotation” button in the Purchase requisition which will be enabled only when the PR status is “In review”. So, an RFQ can be created only when the status of the PR is “In review” .

Kaushik Mentioned "  The purchasing officer than sends out RFQ's to vendor ".

In this point also AX is doing wrong because as per AX process RFQ can be created only by the user who has to either review it or approve it.But in the normal scenerio there is no point of Purchase officer .

Ex: user1 is creating the Requisition, user2 has to review it and user3 needs to approve it.

So, if the PR is “In review” state and it is waiting to be reviewed by user2, then only the user2 can create the RFQ. No other users can create the RFQ from the PR.

So my point is AX RFQ proces it self wrong .

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 31 Aug 2013 6:15 AM

I would disagree with your statement saying "most" follow that process.

In my experience most do not. Purchase Requisitions are predominantly used for non-inventory items. When they are used for inventory they are predominantly related to a new product development process and then the small percentage as per a normal re-quote for price purpose. They are not linked to purchase requisitions because the concept is to obtain a price from multiple vendors, although they can then turn into purchase orders, due to the process and the nature of it the integration with a Purchase Requisition is not usually undertaken. In main this is because the RFQ process is given to purchasers to get prices, and they generally have controls not to go through the Requisition process.

The idea of the process outlined is a user requests an item they have never stocked, and from this a RQ is raised, which is why it is in review. Naturally the PR is in limbo until you have completed the RFQ because you cannot say where you are getting it from until all quotes are in and assessed. I disagree with your statement that an approved PR is required before an RFQ is raised - only once the RFQ is finalised can the requisition be approved.

Personally I always see them as fundamentally different.

However when the PR requires an RFQ you have to ensure your workflow covers this so that the reviewer is the person raising the RFQ.

I would also argue that all software packages do things "differently" if you disagree with the process you customize it to do what you require.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 31 Aug 2013 6:15 AM

I would disagree with your statement saying "most" follow that process.

In my experience most do not. Purchase Requisitions are predominantly used for non-inventory items. When they are used for inventory they are predominantly related to a new product development process and then the small percentage as per a normal re-quote for price purpose. They are not linked to purchase requisitions because the concept is to obtain a price from multiple vendors, although they can then turn into purchase orders, due to the process and the nature of it the integration with a Purchase Requisition is not usually undertaken. In main this is because the RFQ process is given to purchasers to get prices, and they generally have controls not to go through the Requisition process.

The idea of the process outlined is a user requests an item they have never stocked, and from this a RQ is raised, which is why it is in review. Naturally the PR is in limbo until you have completed the RFQ because you cannot say where you are getting it from until all quotes are in and assessed. I disagree with your statement that an approved PR is required before an RFQ is raised - only once the RFQ is finalised can the requisition be approved.

Personally I always see them as fundamentally different.

However when the PR requires an RFQ you have to ensure your workflow covers this so that the reviewer is the person raising the RFQ.

I would also argue that all software packages do things "differently" if you disagree with the process you customize it to do what you require.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.