Question Status

Verified
André Arnaud de Calavon asked a question on 25 Sep 2013 2:00 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to import a model in an AX2012 environment which is created in AX2012 R2?

The model contains e.g. new forms and menu-items. It does not conflict with standard functionality in AX2012 or AX2012 R2.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Tom Van Dyck responded on 25 Sep 2013 3:03 PM

I doubt it ... I've had troubles importing an .axmodel file created with Ax2012 CU5 into a CU4 environment. I guess the .axmodel file contains the axUtil version that was used to create it.

Maybe if you create the .axmodel files from the R2 environment using a non-R2 version of axUtil ...

Verified Answer
Joris de Gruyter responded on 25 Sep 2013 3:51 PM

We have a repository of axutil version we use to extract models, they do indeed have the kernel version in them and axutil will refuse to import from a newer version into an older (you can see that if you open the model file with something like ILSpy).

However, I'm not sure if there are issues between R2 and RTM. You may have trouble pointing an RTM axutil to the R2 database, I have not tried that.

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 25 Sep 2013 10:58 PM

Hi Tom, Joris,

Thanks for the replies. In this case where there is no Axutil RTM installed within the environment we have to use an xpo for transfer the elements.

I think it is worth to check what happens if using the RTM Axutil on a R2 database.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Suggested Answer
Joris de Gruyter responded on 26 Sep 2013 7:41 AM

We found you can just copy the management utilities folder and run the axutil from there. I have a shared folder on the network with all major versions of the management utilities :-)

Verified Answer
Tom Van Dyck responded on 25 Sep 2013 3:03 PM

I doubt it ... I've had troubles importing an .axmodel file created with Ax2012 CU5 into a CU4 environment. I guess the .axmodel file contains the axUtil version that was used to create it.

Maybe if you create the .axmodel files from the R2 environment using a non-R2 version of axUtil ...

Verified Answer
Joris de Gruyter responded on 25 Sep 2013 3:51 PM

We have a repository of axutil version we use to extract models, they do indeed have the kernel version in them and axutil will refuse to import from a newer version into an older (you can see that if you open the model file with something like ILSpy).

However, I'm not sure if there are issues between R2 and RTM. You may have trouble pointing an RTM axutil to the R2 database, I have not tried that.

Suggested Answer
Joris de Gruyter responded on 26 Sep 2013 7:41 AM

We found you can just copy the management utilities folder and run the axutil from there. I have a shared folder on the network with all major versions of the management utilities :-)