Question Status

Verified
Josh-HS asked a question on 27 Dec 2013 7:49 AM

Hello,

I am having trouble finding where I can set the quantity of on-hand stock that is deemed critical on a product so that it will appear in the report under Stock(Inventory) & Warehouse Management > Reports > On-hand > Critical On-hand Stock

Kind Regards & Thanks in advance,

Josh

Tim Harris responded on 27 Dec 2013 2:13 PM

AX 2012 it's on the released product screen.  Click on the Default Order Settings button or Site Specific Order Settings button on the tool bar under Inventory tab.

Tim J. Harris
AX PRACTICE MANAGER |  Western Computer
office +1 (805) 830-8546 | mobile +1 (805) 341-6007
tim.harris@westerncomputer.com
  | Twitter: @daxtalk

Katie Hutchins responded on 30 Dec 2013 7:43 AM

Hi Tim, this is the min/max/qty of order settings.

Verified Answer
Dwij Chandna responded on 30 Dec 2013 6:17 PM

Hi Josh,

This report is related to safety stock and not really the min/max on default order settings.

For defining safety stock, go to Master planning > Journals > Safety stock.

Here there are two ways to create the lines: Manually or on the journal lines, Journal lines > create lines which will create lines based on transactions in the period selected for the creating lines. Here a minimum is proposed which can be overridden. Once this is set, run the critical on-hand stock report and according to safety stock it will propose critical inventory.

Regards,

Dwij

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 31 Dec 2013 2:08 AM

Alternatively the item coverage setting from the released product defines the safety stock trigger point, the journal calculates it based upon usage and lead times.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Dwij Chandna responded on 1 Jan 2014 10:55 PM

This report is independent of item coverage settings.

Josh-HS responded on 2 Jan 2014 1:24 AM

Hi Dwij,

Thanks very much for this - I've tested this and it seems to satisfy what we require.

Regards,

Josh

Dwij Chandna responded on 2 Jan 2014 2:00 AM

Sounds great Josh. Anytime.

Regards,

Dwij

Steven Weaver responded on 2 Jan 2014 3:11 AM

Dwij Chandna

This report is independent of item coverage settings.

The safety stock journal you defined writes to the item coverage settings against the item and is in essence the safety stock trigger point of the item coverage setting of the item, so not strictly independent :-)

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Dwij Chandna responded on 2 Jan 2014 7:02 AM

I was referring to coverage group by item coverage setting. Even if i don't have a coverage group defined for that item, this report will work based on the safety stock. Only way is to post this journal.

It could be writing to some tables which the min/max type of coverage group might use during the planning, but that would be a different question? :).

Steven Weaver responded on 2 Jan 2014 7:03 AM

Set the default item coverage in the MP parameters to Manual - then see if it works :-)

Dwij Chandna responded on 2 Jan 2014 7:26 AM

Yes it does work :-) AX012 R2 CU6.

Steven Weaver responded on 2 Jan 2014 8:15 AM

So the logic of the safety stock journal is a simple lead time versus usage calculation based upon the skew you place on it (factor, service level etc.).

However if you are to launch a new item you might want to set a safety stock level - the journal is all based upon history, if you wanted a base level of 100 to back up the ramp up of sales you would need to enter this into the item coverage of the item as you have no usage and the safety stock journal will not pick it up.

The journal can only look at the history of the use of the product once established and therefore holds inherent perils in the approach (AX insists on 3 months usage minimum), if you want a real critical stock report you need to control it and then the journal would be a natural review process anyway of the item coverage settings, but again it is only a suggestion, it does not know of promotions, product changes, discontinuance etc.

Dwij Chandna responded on 2 Jan 2014 3:56 PM

You are right when it comes to proposal of safety stock for a new item using the create line feature in the safety stock journal. However, this will just propose a minimum quantity based on its own formula. In case of a new item it will not propose. But It's not a mandatory step and a company can calculate the safety stock / reorder level outside the system if they wish and set the quantity manually in the journal.

So like any other journal, lines can be manually created and safety stock/min quantity can manually be entered or overridden for any items (including a  newly created item).

axerp responded on 2 Jan 2014 10:42 PM

Hi Pioneers,

Do we have any functionality like if the Item qty is below the safety stock or minimum qty system should raise the purchase requisition automatically in AX 2012 ?

If yes , can you share setup ?

Thanks in advance.

Dwij Chandna responded on 3 Jan 2014 6:03 PM

Hi AXERP,

Recommend you to create a new post for asking a new yet related or add-on question. This will help you get the answers on time and anyone looking for the answer to the same question would also benefit from the new post.

Regards,

Dwij

Verified Answer
Dwij Chandna responded on 30 Dec 2013 6:17 PM

Hi Josh,

This report is related to safety stock and not really the min/max on default order settings.

For defining safety stock, go to Master planning > Journals > Safety stock.

Here there are two ways to create the lines: Manually or on the journal lines, Journal lines > create lines which will create lines based on transactions in the period selected for the creating lines. Here a minimum is proposed which can be overridden. Once this is set, run the critical on-hand stock report and according to safety stock it will propose critical inventory.

Regards,

Dwij

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 31 Dec 2013 2:08 AM

Alternatively the item coverage setting from the released product defines the safety stock trigger point, the journal calculates it based upon usage and lead times.