Question Status

Suggested Answer
Joe Hodge asked a question on 27 Jun 2013 9:26 PM

Is there a parameter or method to limit salesorder picks to only the reservation instead of looking at unreserved physical inventory ?

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 28 Jun 2013 7:56 AM

Release Sales Order Picking Routine in Periodic, Activate on reserved only then pick based on the activated.

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Joe Hodge responded on 29 Jun 2013 5:50 AM

I don't see those options on the Posting picklist screen.  Are you referring to another screen ? The system our client is using is AX4.0.  

Thank you for the feedback.

Suggested Answer
Brandon Wiese responded on 29 Jun 2013 9:13 AM

I have done this modification before for AX 4.0.  Basically it involves small changes to SalesQuantity classes and adding a new SpecQty option to the SalesEditLines form.  The end result is a new option called "Reserved physical" that proposes only that physically reserved quantity instead of the entire open quantity.

You may also want to strongly consider a process to "fix" reservations.  If you're interested in this approach, I should be able to dig up the code and post some examples here.

Joe Hodge responded on 29 Jun 2013 9:41 AM

Thank you for the response.  So it sounds like a modification is required.  I would be interested to know if the other versions of Dynamics AX would require it.

It terms of fixing reservations, I would certainly appreciate any code examples because most likely that will be the approached needed.

Thank you.

Steven Weaver responded on 30 Jun 2013 5:57 AM

Nope still think it is standard and in version 4.0.

Stock/Inventory Management - Periodic - Release Sales Order Picking.

Open with your defined select criteria (Ship date etc.), Activation button and the option relating to reserved physical, then posting and generate the picking list which will be from the activated lines which are the ones reserved.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Joe Hodge responded on 30 Jun 2013 1:26 PM

I found the screen you are referring to, and unfortunately when I select the activation button and the option relating to reserved physical only, it runs for a long time and I eventually terminate the process. I might have a mod interfering with default behavior.  I will have to check it out.

It seems like I would also need an option to Activate all except those associated with reserved physical but I do not see an option for that.

The end result is through reservation and marking large orders can be restricted to its reservation so it does not take from regular stock that could be used to satisfy production order smaller orders, but instead rely on a purchase order to fill the larger requests.

Thank you for the feedback.

Steven Weaver responded on 30 Jun 2013 10:02 PM

The option to activate all without physical is not there because the screen does not want you to waste time when you do not have the stock - you can manually enter the activate now to bypass this if required.

I would however say this screen simply picks where the inventory transaction is physically reserved. Once you start talking about differentiation on reservation and pick based upon demand mix and type then the standard will not suit you unless you can filter out the orders of this type.

Suggested Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 28 Jun 2013 7:56 AM

Release Sales Order Picking Routine in Periodic, Activate on reserved only then pick based on the activated.

Suggested Answer
Brandon Wiese responded on 29 Jun 2013 9:13 AM

I have done this modification before for AX 4.0.  Basically it involves small changes to SalesQuantity classes and adding a new SpecQty option to the SalesEditLines form.  The end result is a new option called "Reserved physical" that proposes only that physically reserved quantity instead of the entire open quantity.

You may also want to strongly consider a process to "fix" reservations.  If you're interested in this approach, I should be able to dig up the code and post some examples here.