Question Status

Verified
Steven Weaver asked a question on 13 Sep 2013 9:06 AM

Hi

Does anyone have a document referencing how MES is licensed in AX2012? In AX2009 you had separate shop floor users that were licensed in bundles, I think the first was 1-50. I am not sure how this works in AX2012 and can find no explanation, it seems they maybe functional or task users but I am not sure if they need to be named, or what differences are now apparent in the licensing of MES/SFDC.

Any pointers appreciated!

Steve Weaver | Dynamics AX Solution Architect - UK | My Blog

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 13 Sep 2013 1:12 PM

Hi Steven,

Interesting question. When users have acces to a terminal only, I think this terminal is a device CAL. The users of the time registration only uses the terminal for starting and ending their tasks without an own user ID in AX. If the users also uses other area's in AX these users will be setup in the Users of AX and then also have a certain license CAL (Enterprise, functional etc).

This is my summary of the licensing guide... I'm not sure about it.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Steven Weaver responded on 13 Sep 2013 2:24 PM

No neither am I, whilst you have the device CAL that can represent the resource you may also have the resource as the person and then they are a functional user (I believe), but I am just not sure and cannot find anything on it. Have a feeling I read about separate licenses based upon the active worker list but no idea now. Oh well, will wait and see if anyone else answers! Thanks

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Verified Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 29 Sep 2013 10:59 AM

Confirmation from Microsoft is as follows:

In a scenario where there are 200 shop floor employees and 20 machines configured for registration on the shop floor the business do not have to procure 200 Task user CALs unless they require 200 Shop floor machines from where these 200 Shop floor users log in. If they use only 20 devices for these 200 users to log in, they need only 20 device CALs.

Device CALs do not stop you from creating multiple user logins until they log in from the same device. During the license audit, the onus is on the customer to prove that they all have logged in from the same machines.

The interpretation is that as long as the PC on the Shop Floor is connected to AX using a ‘User’ with a Device CAL (lower than an Enterprise CAL) then, any number of Time Registration Workers can register jobs from it without further licensing.

Verified Answer
Steven Weaver responded on 29 Sep 2013 10:59 AM

Confirmation from Microsoft is as follows:

In a scenario where there are 200 shop floor employees and 20 machines configured for registration on the shop floor the business do not have to procure 200 Task user CALs unless they require 200 Shop floor machines from where these 200 Shop floor users log in. If they use only 20 devices for these 200 users to log in, they need only 20 device CALs.

Device CALs do not stop you from creating multiple user logins until they log in from the same device. During the license audit, the onus is on the customer to prove that they all have logged in from the same machines.

The interpretation is that as long as the PC on the Shop Floor is connected to AX using a ‘User’ with a Device CAL (lower than an Enterprise CAL) then, any number of Time Registration Workers can register jobs from it without further licensing.