Question Status

Verified
Torben.Bedsted asked a question on 27 Oct 2013 2:12 PM

Does anybody know if it is possible to have an employee's timesheet split into lines and AUTOMATICALLY have every line approved by the project manager WITHOUT having to build a cumbersome if projectid = zzz then project manager = yyy. In my company we have hundreds of projects with new being added daily.

Having surfed documentation and the internet, I have not been able to find an answer.

Hope anybody can help. Thank you in advance.

Verified Answer
Torben.Bedsted responded on 30 Oct 2013 10:58 PM

Thank you Brian, for your input. Then I have to find a way to accomodate for that the audit question puts restrictions on the "end part" instead of it having been solved by putting restrictions on the input side. But that is MS's decisions, so thank you once again for clarifying.

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 29 Oct 2013 5:58 AM

Hi Torben,

When several project managers should approve lines from the same timesheet, they will indeed see lines of other project managers. This is standard behaviour of AX2012. The other suggestion which won't work at your organization will have the same.

You can possibly restrict the lines with help of eXtensible Data Security or another customization.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

David Massey responded on 28 Oct 2013 9:20 AM

Your post does not indicate which version of AX you are using.  This scenario is supported by Timesheet line workflow.

David Massey | Senior software engineer - Dynamics AX Service Industries

Torben.Bedsted responded on 28 Oct 2013 9:30 AM

We are running AX 2012 R2 without CUs

André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 28 Oct 2013 12:29 PM

Hi Torben,

When you write "automatically approved by the project manager", I wonder why you need to split into approval per line? :-)

I guess you want to have the project manager as setup on the project being assigned as the approver in a flexible way?

As David told this is standard in AX2012. You need to create a timesheet workflow and a timesheet line workflow. The timesheet workflow will call the line workflow.

The line workflow will have an approval which needs to have a role based assignment. The type will be 'Project participants'' and the participant will be setup with the value 'Project manager'.

kind regards,

André Arnaud de Calavon  |  Microsoft Dynamics AX Solution architect  |  My blog  |  My company

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my company, Microsoft, both its employees, or other MVPs.

Torben.Bedsted responded on 28 Oct 2013 1:59 PM

Hi André, Thank you very much for your response. I have allready build the workflow for the timesheet and for the  exactlyas you described. My challenge is that a given timesheet - that the employees does week by week - contains a number of different projects with different project managers. When I tested the workflow every project manager saw all lines (and without any visible marking of which lines he / she approve (Although I know it can be seen by clicking at the line level)). I would like the project manager only to see lines which he / she approve. I read a suggestion under technet.microsoft.com/.../hh538461.aspx but that won't work in practice with our number of projects.

Best regards

Torben

Suggested Answer
André Arnaud de Calavon responded on 29 Oct 2013 5:58 AM

Hi Torben,

When several project managers should approve lines from the same timesheet, they will indeed see lines of other project managers. This is standard behaviour of AX2012. The other suggestion which won't work at your organization will have the same.

You can possibly restrict the lines with help of eXtensible Data Security or another customization.

kind regards,

Brian Welcker responded on 30 Oct 2013 1:09 PM

Just to reinforce what Andre says, the timesheet document is what is being approved even though the routings are based on the lines. In some industries, the timesheet itself is a auditable document. For example, if on a government contract, the timesheet should not be approved if the employee says they were working on two different projects at the same time. Or perhaps the employee says they worked 120 hours during the week even though they only worked 30 hours per project. If you really want these hidden, you could customize the timesheet form to filter out the lines on a timesheet that are not associated with projects managed by a specific project manager.

Brian Welcker | Principal Group Program Manager - Service Industries | Microsoft Dynamics AX
Verified Answer
Torben.Bedsted responded on 30 Oct 2013 10:58 PM

Thank you Brian, for your input. Then I have to find a way to accomodate for that the audit question puts restrictions on the "end part" instead of it having been solved by putting restrictions on the input side. But that is MS's decisions, so thank you once again for clarifying.