Question Status

Suggested Answer
Danny Egan asked a question on 27 Jun 2012 9:10 AM

Hi,

Our company wish to roll out AX from an ERP system that we are currently using (JD Edwards),  our Finance team are undecided as to whether roll out the 2009 or 2012 version.

I need to find out the pro's and con's of each version with regards to the following;

·         Architecture

·         Performance

·         Integration/customisation – which tool sets

·         Security/Configuration

Can you please advise how I can find out this information.

Thanks

Danny

Suggested Answer
Joris de Gruyter responded on 27 Jun 2012 1:43 PM

In general it would not make any sense to me to start an implementation on AX 2009 at this point. Why would you? You know you'll have to upgrade it at some point when 2009 will no longer be supported, so why not start on it now? You're saving yourself the effort and money to upgrade, the additional training for your users to learn the new version (UI workflow has changed in 2012), revisions of any reports and customizations, etc. The upgrade from 2009 to 2012 is not seamless, unfortunately.

As for architecture, performance, tools and security, you can safely assume a newer version should always improve on an older version, so obviously 2012 scores better on all of those points.

Lastly, if this is mostly a FINANCE implementation, I'm sure the new features in 2012 should be plenty of reasons for your finance team to choose 2012 over 2009.

DonnyAX responded on 26 Mar 2013 5:59 PM

Oh, this is a very helpful answer to all non-AX users.  Informative with enough details to entice people to use AX.  And you have also fully understood and answered the question from the requestor.  You should be AX advocate of the year.  I definitely did not waste my time reading this suggested answer.

Suggested Answer
Deepak Agarwal responded on 31 Mar 2013 10:43 PM

Yes Joris is right, we implementing ax 2009 but now when its come to over we again start all the cycle for AX2012 migration , so its better to start with ax2012 rather then 2009. rest is depend on your choice.

- Thanks & Regards

Harry

Dick Wenning responded on 1 Apr 2013 1:39 AM

check this link

technet.microsoft.com/.../dd362002.aspx

security start from scratch

eliminate all EDT relations, and translate it to refrecID.

all journal posting classes have split-up in a validate, post and print class. so you have to split your customizations

Forms, go back to the defaults, first add your fields to existing field groups. otherwise create new field groups.

every code deserved his performance. generic solutions are slow, dedicated are fast.....

use the security profile tool, it is on information source.

Kind regards, 

Kaya Solutions

Dick Wenning

+31 6 147 989 53 

Landjuweel 5

3905 PE - Veenendaal

OTHER CONTACT INFORMATION

Zvika Rimalt responded on 1 Apr 2013 2:41 PM

Hi Danny,

What drives you at this point to consider implementing an older version (AX 2009)?

For example - what is is your current status - have you started implementing already (hence, you already invested time and money in AX 2009 implementation?)

Zvika Rimalt * Dynamics AX Business Analyst/Functional Consultant * Vancouver, BC, Canada

Suggested Answer
Joris de Gruyter responded on 27 Jun 2012 1:43 PM

In general it would not make any sense to me to start an implementation on AX 2009 at this point. Why would you? You know you'll have to upgrade it at some point when 2009 will no longer be supported, so why not start on it now? You're saving yourself the effort and money to upgrade, the additional training for your users to learn the new version (UI workflow has changed in 2012), revisions of any reports and customizations, etc. The upgrade from 2009 to 2012 is not seamless, unfortunately.

As for architecture, performance, tools and security, you can safely assume a newer version should always improve on an older version, so obviously 2012 scores better on all of those points.

Lastly, if this is mostly a FINANCE implementation, I'm sure the new features in 2012 should be plenty of reasons for your finance team to choose 2012 over 2009.

Suggested Answer
Deepak Agarwal responded on 31 Mar 2013 10:43 PM

Yes Joris is right, we implementing ax 2009 but now when its come to over we again start all the cycle for AX2012 migration , so its better to start with ax2012 rather then 2009. rest is depend on your choice.

- Thanks & Regards

Harry