CRM 2011 Client for Outlook and MS Office 2013

This question is not answered

Hello, everyone.

We have a problem using CRM 2011 Client for Outlook with Microsoft Office 2013.

We've already installed RU10, RU11 and RU12. As you may know, CRM Client for Outlook now supports Office 2013 and everything is working quite fine. The only one problem is when we try to send any Office document from the Office application (Excel or Word).

For example, our user tries to send an Excel document using the ability to send the document as an attachment directly from an application. So, he goes to "File" menu in Excel, selects "Share" and presses "Send by e-mail". Everything goes fine (you can add recipients, write text, etc.) until the "Send" button is pressed. After the "Send" button is pressed message is delivered, but Excel stops responding and doesn't go back. You need to stop it with the Task manager.

I've enabled CRM Client Trace to see if there are any errors. Well, there is only one error:

[2013-03-20 16:50:20.505] Process:EXCEL |Thread:5488 |Category: Unmanaged.Platform |User: PlatformUser |Level: Info | The current Excel version uses Ribbons or is not supported. Function: CAddin::HrInitializeCmdBar File: c:\bt\42820\src\application\excel\addin\addin.cpp Line: 290

This problem occurs when you send an e-mail to external recipient, not to another domain user. The same problem appears with Word 2013.

Are there any known resolutions for this problem? Is it a bug or should we configure our CRM Client for Outlook properly to make it work with Office 2013? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

All Replies
  • Hi George,

Have you verified that this issue only occurs when the CRM client for Outlook is installed?  If so, I would encourage you to open a support case for this issue, as it will require some thorough investigating.

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities!

Additional information can be found on the Dynamics CRM Support Blog.

Jon Birnbaum
    Sr. Support Engineer
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM

• Hello, Jon.

There are no problems with Office 2013 when CRM client for Outlook is installed for the test user, but not configured. We can see the problem after enabling the user on the server and configuring CRM client. We didn't try disabling and uninstalling the client. I'll test this tomorrow morning.

I'm not familiar with opening the support case. Can you provide me with any link to the guide about creating support cases? Can I find it on the Dynamics CRM Support Blog page? Thank you.

- -

Best regards,

George Pozdnyakov.

• Hello, Jon.

I've made few tests to confirm that this problem is related to CRM Client for Outlook and now I can completely confirm that.

We created a new test user to be sure that this is not related to User Roaming profile. Outlook 2013 is configured for this user and CRM Client is installed but not configured with any organization. There are no problems with sending Excel document  directly from Excel application using the "File -> Share -> Send by e-mail" menu.

Next we added this test user on CRM server and configured CRM Client for this user. After that we can see the problem which I described in my first post.

Removing the organization from CRM client makes this problem to disappear. This way, we experience the problem only when CRM Client is configured with any organization, but we don't need to remove CRM Client completely.

Finally, I decided to remove the CRM Client completely and to reinstall it with 2 Rollup Updates: RU6 and RU12 only. The problem appears again and all the symptoms are the same.

Also, there is a little correction: this problem appears on sending Excel or Word document to any recipient, not only to external recipient. I was incorrectly informed by my collegue previously. So, the problem appears on any recipient if CRM Client is configured with any organization.

P.S.: I've just talked to the end user who has found the problem. There is a major correction to the problem description. The problem with Word applicatoin is not the same as the problem with Excel. You can send any document from Word and it won't stop responding but if you try to close the Word application you receive the message that you cannot close the file because it is used by another application. After that you can see that Outlook 2013 stopped responding. Anyway, I cannot make this happen on test user.

There is no such problem while sending PowerPoint 2013 files.

• Thank you for providing the additional information, George.  As this isn't a scenario that has been brought to our attention previously, I would highly recommend opening a support ticket in order to investigate this more thoroughly.

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities!

Additional information can be found on the Dynamics CRM Support Blog.

Jon Birnbaum
    Sr. Support Engineer
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM

• Sure, I've just opened a new support case and now I'm waiting for any reply. Thank you.

• Try after installing Update Rollup 11:

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

M.Adeel

• I am also copying a link for Microsoft Support:

support.microsoft.com/.../2744957

M.Adeel

• This does not fix an issue. We're working on this case with Microsoft Support and now we are almost sure that this problem is related to Microsoft Office 2013. This way, installation of Update Rollup 11 does not fix an issue. Installation of Update Rollup 12 does not fix it too.

• Did you ever find a solution to this?

We are experiencing the same problem.

• Hello, Confide.

No, there is no solution yet. We are working on this problem with CRM support. Currently they think that this issue is related to Microsoft Office and Office Support Team is involved in this case too. Anyway, there is still no any progress.

• Thank you for your quick reply, hoping for a solution soon :)

• I will post the solution here as soon as I get it. However, we are trying to solve this issue for 7-8 months with no luck. But I still hoping for a solution too.