Question Status

Suggested Answer
jhadur asked a question on 25 Apr 2013 7:24 AM

We have recently implemented CRM 2011 and I am having an issue configuring CRM for Outlook 2013.  When I enter the server URL on a computer with Windows 8 and Outlook 2013 I am getting an error that says there is a problem communicating with the MD CRM server. The server might be unavailable.  I am able to log into the CRM with the user's credentials so the server is up and running.  I am able to install and configure the CRM for Outlook on a Windows 7 Outlook 2010 computer and that is working perfectly.  We have installed the latest Rollup and Windows Identity Foundation 3.5 has been installed.  The time is syncronized. I have listed below the error log for my most recent attempts to connect.

All help is appreciated.

10:10:47|  Error| Exception : The request for security token could not be satisfied because authentication failed.    at System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityUtils.ThrowIfNegotiationFault(Message message, EndpointAddress target)

at System.ServiceModel.Security.SspiNegotiationTokenProvider.GetNextOutgoingMessageBody(Message incomingMessage, SspiNegotiationTokenProviderState sspiState)

Aaron Richards responded on 30 Apr 2013 5:25 PM

Hi there,

Are you connecting to CRM Online or On Premise. Also, if you are using On Premise, is this client machine on the same domain as the CRM Server?

Thank you for using Microsoft Dynamics CRM Communities,

Dynamics CRM Support Blog

Aaron Richards
Support Escalation Engineer
Microsoft Dynamics CRM

Suggested Answer
xrmaaron responded on 26 Sep 2013 4:45 PM

I know this post is a few month old but I thought I would post this out there for those whom find this post when they run into this issue with CRM Online (O365).

If you are trying to connect to a CRM Online instance then you're likely using the newer O365 authentication rather than the older LiveID method which requires that the server URL you supply must be "disco.crm.dynamics.com".  Do not use your org name like "contoso.crm.dynamics.com".  That method no longer works with CRM Online.  If you're curious on why it would know where your org is if it is no longer required to place the name in the server URL, the authentication process is intelligent enough to detect the org through your O365 account/user name which contains your org domain "username@domain.com" or "username@domain.onmicrosoft.com".  That account is associated with your instance of CRM Online so it should detect that for you.

Satai responded on 27 Sep 2013 5:54 AM

Yes, we are using CRM on premise and the client machine is not on the same domain.  We are using Office 365 for our email but are connecting to the email account using Outlook 2013 on the local machine.

Satai responded on 27 Sep 2013 6:05 AM

BTW, I don't know why my username came up as Satai but I am the same person as Jhadur.

Suggested Answer
xrmaaron responded on 26 Sep 2013 4:45 PM

I know this post is a few month old but I thought I would post this out there for those whom find this post when they run into this issue with CRM Online (O365).

If you are trying to connect to a CRM Online instance then you're likely using the newer O365 authentication rather than the older LiveID method which requires that the server URL you supply must be "disco.crm.dynamics.com".  Do not use your org name like "contoso.crm.dynamics.com".  That method no longer works with CRM Online.  If you're curious on why it would know where your org is if it is no longer required to place the name in the server URL, the authentication process is intelligent enough to detect the org through your O365 account/user name which contains your org domain "username@domain.com" or "username@domain.onmicrosoft.com".  That account is associated with your instance of CRM Online so it should detect that for you.