Question Status

Suggested Answer
onlyconnect asked a question on 28 Apr 2013 1:53 AM

Hi, we have an on-premise install of Dynamics CRM 2011 and created a temporary second organization on a separate server in order to test out some ideas safely. We used a trial install for this. The trial expires soon. It occurs to me that we could extend this by using our production license key in the test install - does anyone know if this would work and whether the license covers this kind of usage? The only other way I can think of is to set up a new server with another trial which seems rather a waste of effort.

Tim

Suggested Answer
Jerry Weinstock responded on 28 Apr 2013 7:46 AM

Tim,

Each installation of CRM requires it's own server license. This includes scenarios where you split the installation into a front end - back end install.

In your case you can't use the production license again to support your extended test installation environment. One option would be for your organization to purchase an MSDN license which would support this scenario.

Jerry, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
CRM Innovation - Consulting and Solutions
Need a solution for CRM to help you manage your Internet Lead Capture or Events ?
Follow me on Twitter

onlyconnect responded on 28 Apr 2013 8:23 AM

Thanks Jerry. MSDN is a good suggestion.

Tim

Suggested Answer
Jerry Weinstock responded on 28 Apr 2013 7:46 AM

Tim,

Each installation of CRM requires it's own server license. This includes scenarios where you split the installation into a front end - back end install.

In your case you can't use the production license again to support your extended test installation environment. One option would be for your organization to purchase an MSDN license which would support this scenario.

Jerry, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
CRM Innovation - Consulting and Solutions
Need a solution for CRM to help you manage your Internet Lead Capture or Events ?
Follow me on Twitter