License for test install

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi, we have an on-premise install of Dynamics CRM 2011 and created a temporary second organization on a separate server in order to test out some ideas safely. We used a trial install for this. The trial expires soon. It occurs to me that we could extend this by using our production license key in the test install - does anyone know if this would work and whether the license covers this kind of usage? The only other way I can think of is to set up a new server with another trial which seems rather a waste of effort.

Tim

All Replies
  • Tim,

Each installation of CRM requires it's own server license. This includes scenarios where you split the installation into a front end - back end install.

In your case you can't use the production license again to support your extended test installation environment. One option would be for your organization to purchase an MSDN license which would support this scenario.

Jerry, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
    CRM Innovation - Consulting and Solutions
    Need a solution for CRM to help you manage your Internet Lead Capture or Events or Email Marketing?
    Follow me on Twitter

• Thanks Jerry. MSDN is a good suggestion.

Tim