Question Status

Verified
Joel H asked a question on 30 Jun 2013 10:59 AM

I am a new user and I am curious about something.  I have created custom fields that I am utilizing in a "lead form" and I was surprised that these fields were not automatically available when I went to customize the other forms (Opportunity, Account, etc.).

I have learned that I can create Global Sets but even these do not appear to be automatically mapped between forms.

My question is this...what is the purpose of not automatically making custom fields available globally and mapped?

What am I missing?

Verified Answer
Gretchen Opferkew responded on 30 Jun 2013 11:27 AM

Hi Joel,

You are not missing anything--CRM forms are NOT cross-table forms (such as with Microsoft Access).  So, you can only add fields that are from that entity to the form.  Therefore, you create the field on the lead (using the global option set if desired).  You create the field on the account (using the same global option set) and then you create the mapping between lead and account.  

CRM views ARE cross-table views so you can select columns in a view from N:1 related records.  In this case, you could have fields from the lead on an account view, but not on the account form.

Hope that helps!

Gretchen Opferkew
PowerObjects, Director of Education

Increase your CRM skills.  Find out about upcoming CRM Events.

Suggested Answer
Gretchen Opferkew responded on 30 Jun 2013 6:08 PM

That's a great question for the Microsoft development team!  You can always go to connect.microsoft.com and make a product suggestion.  I've always wondered it myself and supposed that it was for simplicity's sake, but I've heard the request for this capability a handful of times.  So, perhaps it will be added at some point.

Gretchen Opferkew

Verified Answer
Gretchen Opferkew responded on 30 Jun 2013 11:27 AM

Hi Joel,

You are not missing anything--CRM forms are NOT cross-table forms (such as with Microsoft Access).  So, you can only add fields that are from that entity to the form.  Therefore, you create the field on the lead (using the global option set if desired).  You create the field on the account (using the same global option set) and then you create the mapping between lead and account.  

CRM views ARE cross-table views so you can select columns in a view from N:1 related records.  In this case, you could have fields from the lead on an account view, but not on the account form.

Hope that helps!

Gretchen Opferkew

Joel H responded on 30 Jun 2013 3:19 PM

Thank you Gretchen for the clarification.  

Any thoughts on why it was not setup as a cross-table form?

Suggested Answer
Gretchen Opferkew responded on 30 Jun 2013 6:08 PM

That's a great question for the Microsoft development team!  You can always go to connect.microsoft.com and make a product suggestion.  I've always wondered it myself and supposed that it was for simplicity's sake, but I've heard the request for this capability a handful of times.  So, perhaps it will be added at some point.

Gretchen Opferkew