Modifying the 'Sales Stage' Field

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi all,

I'm trying to modify the Sales pipeline report, we do not use the 'Sales Stage' field, in fact it has been removed from the opportunities form altogether, but I can't find how to remove it from the actual Sales Pipeline report, so I thought if I can't remove it I'll modify it as 'Qualify, Develop, Propose and Close', are all pretty irrelevant to what we do, but when I go to edit the field, it won't let me..... Can anyone let me know if there is a way of removing it from the Sales Pipeline so I do not have a long list of items that say 'Not Specified' or if I can't remove it, a way of changing the list to one that is more relevant?

Many thanks

Nick

All Replies
  • Hi Nick,

can you add a screenshot of the part you want to remove? Is Online or OnPremise CRM?

• Hi Guido,

Many thanks for your quick reply, not sure if this helps,  but this is the headers for the Sales Pipeline report:

We don't use the sales stage part, it has even been removed from the form, but what would be really useful on this report instead would be the potential clients name, so if I could remove the sales stage and add 'Potential Customer' would be great.

Many thanks and let me know if you need more info,

Regards

Nick

• Hi Nick,

if you are using OnPremise CRM you need to modify the Sales Pipeline Report. You need to download the RDL file, edit it using BIDS (Business Intelligence Development Studio) and import back to the CRM.

Here some links about BIDS

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2010/10/26/how-to-creating-custom-report-with-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-bids-fetch-extension.aspx

http://www.njevity.com/blog/creating-dynamics-crm-2011-reports-sql-reporting-services-pre-filtering-and-default-filters

If you are using an Online CRM, you can't edit the default Sales Pipeline report but you need to create a new one using only FetchXML

• Thanks Guido,

That looks like a lot of work for a small reward, so I may just move on...

I do have a couple of other questions re the sales pipeline though if you can help, when I run the pipeline, and filter it under products, I only get two columns, one is a product the other says unspecified, even though the opportunities have products specified, any ideas why this may be?

Also I put the sales stage field back on to the form and repopulated it, but again on the report, it does not show, it still shows as not specified:

Finally, is there a way of editing the chart? I would prefer the labels to be vertical like below and not like the ones above.

Many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

Nick

• Hi Nick,

regarding the charts inside the report is necessary to see the SQL query and the products inside your environment to understand why you get that results.

About the standard chart, they are editable but is necessary to modify the xml code.

You can visit this blog:

http://crmchartguy.wordpress.com/

that is a good source for understand how crm charts works.

• Hi Guido,

I've figured the product bit out, it was because it was looking at records modified in the last 30 days, so once I extended that it worked fine, I'm still really struggling with the sales stage part though, as when I run reports, people keep asking what it is and when I explain they say can it be removed??? Not figured out how to yet.

Regards

Nick

• Hi Guido,

Been looking at report design now, and wondered how I download the RDL file?

Many thanks

Nick

• Hi Nick, to download the RDL you need to select the report inside the Reports area (not double click, just select from the grid) and click the "Edit" button on the top of the ribbon.After select Action and Download Report

do a backup of the file first after you saved.

Now you can open BIDS, create a new Report Server Project, after from the top menu choose Project and Add existing Item and select the RDL file.

• Hi Guido,

That worked a treat, thank you, I now have both the sales pipe line and sales pipe line detail reports downloaded and open ready for amending. Unfortunately I have encountered a problem when trying to preview the reports, I got this error:

I don't really want to start changing anything until I can see the effects of it.

Many thanks

Nick