Question Status

Suggested Answer
benano asked a question on 16 Apr 2014 4:58 AM

I am using Dynamics CRM Online.

I would like to create a new field in Opportunities called Next Action. I would like this field to get the next Activity associated with that opportunity and display the information. If there is no Next Activity set then I would like it to display "NO NEXT ACTION" in red.

Is this possible to do?

Suggested Answer
Jason Lattimer responded on 16 Apr 2014 6:02 AM

It is certainly possible to do but there would be a fair amount of custom coding involved to make something like this happen. There isn't any type of out of the box means to grab the next activity (however that may be defined) and display the details. You could definitely create a button on the command bar/ribbon to use the Odata endpoint to make a query of the related activities of a record and once you have the related id, you can use the supported methods in the SDK to open that record or pull bits of data and display in another field or a custom web resource.

Jason Lattimer
My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Suggested Answer
Jason Lattimer responded on 16 Apr 2014 6:02 AM

It is certainly possible to do but there would be a fair amount of custom coding involved to make something like this happen. There isn't any type of out of the box means to grab the next activity (however that may be defined) and display the details. You could definitely create a button on the command bar/ribbon to use the Odata endpoint to make a query of the related activities of a record and once you have the related id, you can use the supported methods in the SDK to open that record or pull bits of data and display in another field or a custom web resource.

Jason Lattimer
My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

benano responded on 14 May 2014 5:50 PM

Could you please briefly explain the steps I would need to take to achieve this. I will look further in to how to do each step. But I just need a little guidance.

Eg.

• Create a read only field in Opportunities called "Next Action"
  • Create a read only field in Opportunities called "Next Action Due Date"

Please tell me what steps I need to take to make that field lookup the earliest scheduled activity (by due date) assigned to that opportunity

I can try to figure out the coding