Skip to main content

Notifications

Supply Chain Management forum
Unanswered

Unable to Delete a Released Product in D365FO Due to BOM Line Dependencies

Posted on by 6
Hello everyone,

I'm facing an issue in Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations while trying to delete a released product. When I attempt to delete it, I receive the following error message: /Items cannot be deleted while dependent BOM lines exist. Delete dependent BOM lines and try again./

To resolve this, I went to /Engineer → BOM → Where used/ and deleted all Bill of Material entries where this item was used. Despite this, the error persists. I'm wondering if there might be other dependencies or caches that need clearing, or if I'm missing a step somewhere.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any guidance on how to completely remove a released product along with its dependencies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Suggested answer
    CU10050755-0 Profile Picture
    CU10050755-0 11 on at
    Hi,

When looking at this issue I always follow this steps to try to debug:

1) Navigate to Released Products -> Manage stock tab -> View -> transactions and check whether there is open transactions? I recommend to set the Receipt field to not "Purchased" and the Issue field to not "Sold". Any transactions that do not have this status are the ones open. If there is any transactions, please cancel product receipt/delivery note ( depending on what the order is).

2) Navigate into Release Products -> Engineer -> Bom -> Bom Versions ( notice that I go into BOM versions first instead of where used because I can have a product with variances/configuration and this will not show up). Once in the BOM versions try to remove all bill of materials lines and Bom versions.

3) If the issue still persists, use table browser caller Table Browser Caller for D365FO (google.com) to look for the BOMTable and check if there is any values for your item. If so, you may need to ask the development team to look into it.

Please rate this as a verified answer if it helped.

Regards

• Hana Xue Profile Picture
    Hana Xue Microsoft Employee on at
    Hi,
    Please review this old thread, which mentions checking for any related open sales orders, purchase orders, production orders, etc.
    https://www.dynamicsuser.net/t/ax-2012-item-deletion-error-message-items-cannot-be-deleted-while-dependent-inventory-transactions-exist-delete-dependent-inventory-transactions-and-try-again/37143
    Best Regards,
    Hana

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Take the Community feedback survey!

Answer this brief 15-question survey about your Community experience…

Demystifying Copilot: Service Edition with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar answers more questions about Copilot for Service...

Dynamics 365 Business Central vs Finance and SCM

Take a look at the key differences between Business Central and…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,377 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,308 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans