Notifications

Business Central forum
Suggested answer

Does my partner need a license in BC?

editSubscribe (1) ShareShare
ReportReport
Posted on by 8
Hi,

I was wondering if we need to pay for a license for our partner to use within BC? We have 24 users but one of these was set for our partner during the migration to BC and it is still there - is this normal practice or after the migration was completed should this have been released for us to use for any new employees?

Thanks in advance,
Duncan
  • Suggested answer
    YUN ZHU Profile Picture
    YUN ZHU 60,818 Super User on at
    In addition, if your environment was created in a third-party Partner Center and is not the supported partner, you must purchase an additional license because the partner cannot log in with a delegated admin.
    I've come across partners who create customer environments in their Partner Center to allow customers to receive discounts on AppSource extensions. . . .

Hope this helps.
    Thanks.
    ZHU
  • Suggested answer
    Jun Wang Profile Picture
    Jun Wang 4,020 Super User on at
    as responded, no need to provide a BC license to your partner who could access you BC using the partner BC license. 
    However, there are certain things a partner license couldn't do such as sending out emails from BC, test workflow, job queues.
    If you need your partner to test those things, you could release a BC license to assign to your partner and get it back when the work is done.

Jun Wang
  • Suggested answer
    Valentin Castravet Profile Picture
    Valentin Castravet 4,483 Super User on at
    If your partner is a Microsoft partner they can access your Business Central environment as a delegated admin, meaning they do not require a Business Central license to do the implementation or provide support. You would not need to buy a Business Central license for them. This requires you to give them access as a delegated admin. But its very simple for your partner to set this up. 

However, I did come across some partners who do not know about this so they ask the customer to buy a license for them. There are also certain things that are not possible to do with delegated admin access and a Business Central license would be required. So it really depends on the scope of the implementation, and what they're currently helping you with. However, I would say 95%+ of the time a Business Central license is not required for neither the implementation nor to provide support, and delegated admin access is enough. I would ask your partner to confirm why they need a license now and during the implementation. Perhaps they are helping you with something where delegated admin access is not enough.

For example, most of the clients I help do not buy me a Business Central license as I access their environments as a delegated admin as there's no reason for them to pay an extra $1000+/year when I can get access for free. However, some clients bought me a license as I help them with Power BI or Power Apps in addition to Business Central where delegated admin access would not be enough.    

• Suggested answer
    Saurav.Dhyani Profile Picture
    Saurav.Dhyani 10,155 User Group Leader on at
    Hi Duncan,

You should remove license assigned to your partner from admin center and disable user in Business central.

Your partner can utilize other options and access Business Central as external user for doing activities like installing and upgrading extensions.

Regards,
    Saurav Dhyani

Helpful resources

Quick Links

Take the Community feedback survey!

Answer this brief 15-question survey about your Community experience…

Demystifying Copilot: Service Edition with Sundar Raghavan

Sundar answers more questions about Copilot for Service...

Dynamics 365 Business Central vs Finance and SCM

Take a look at the key differences between Business Central and…

Leaderboard

Andre Arnaud de Calavon Profile Picture

Andre Arnaud de Cal... 283,375 Super User

Martin Dráb Profile Picture

Martin Dráb 223,308 Super User

nmaenpaa Profile Picture

nmaenpaa 101,140

Featured topics

Product updates

Dynamics 365 release plans